New member. The smoker I bought is out of my league.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Answer: More than likely, yes, but if wood is a problem or expensive in your area you can supplement with charcoal. You would be amazed at how much delicious flavor can come from a fist sized chunk added to charcoal embers every 60-90 minutes. I have no idea what kind of trees are in your area, but if I had a stick burner that big and I didn't have wood readily available, I'd take a chainsaw on a road trip with my F150. Gotta be some trees and national forest within 200 miles...... providing CA will issue a permit to harvest downed trees out of a national forest.

Welcome. That is one hell of a smoker. Just use it and figure it out. Smoke a couple of chickens and a butt or 3

After you figure it out, invite all of San Diego over for a cookout lol.
😂😂😂

What a fine cooker you have there. Yes it’s much larger than you will need, but once you let the stress of it all pass and let this purchase settle I think you can get along with this unit fine. cook with the cooker you have, not the one you want to have. I’d love that smoker, only if I lived where hardwoods grow wild. Let it set a bit, then get to smoking some meats, that really is a fantastic smoker.

Reactions: nlife and Bworx
Something to ponder BEFORE your friend gets that cutting torch fired up!
All off-set stick burners (that's what you bought) get much hotter at the firebox end and most folks can't or don't cook on the foot or two nearest the firebox because of the hot zone.
That wonderful upright section is immune from overheating and/or burning your very expensive cuts of meat, that's why it's there and why it was built that way, so please try cooking over there before you part it out.

All off-set stick burners (that's what you bought) get much hotter at the firebox end and most folks can't or don't cook on the foot or two nearest the firebox because of the hot zone.
That wonderful upright section is immune from overheating and/or burning your very expensive cuts of meat, that's why it's there and why it was built that way, so please try cooking over there before you part it out.

I agree with this. Use the smoker as it is for a while. Learn it. Then decide if changes are necessary.

But ya might think about putting some golf cart wheels on it.

That looks like a hell of a smoker. It seems big now, but when you go down the rabbit hole you'll likely find that you're running out of smoker room.

Reactions: JLeonard
Promise your buddies ribs and pulled pork and beer to help you move it to the cook spot. And promise them it will never move again. :emoji_laughing:

Jim
🤣
VERY good point! In fact the previous owner said he cooked more in the vertical chamber. Thanks for that info!

Reactions: JLeonard
I agree with this. Use the smoker as it is for a while. Learn it. Then decide if changes are necessary.

But ya might think about putting some golf cart wheels on it.
No joke! When we moved it across the sellers grass those wheels kept busting through the plywood we layed down. It was only 1/2 inch thick though. Of course it moved on flat concrete ok but even then it was tough to move. If it had some legit wheels on all 4 legs it would definitely help. With wheel locks of course.

I watched a couple videos on how to clean these. What would be the best way to clean the inside? It smells like fish and lighter fluid. PO smoked salmon in it. On my modded propane grill I installed an adjustable propane regulator. I turn it up high and roast the entire inside. It turns to ash. I clean the ash out and it's done. Would I do the same thing with this? Get a raging hot fire and burn it out? Or do I pressure wash it with chemicals? I want to do this while it's in the north 40 of my property before I bring it up by my grilling area. It will be interesting when I actually fire this thing up and team save the planet starts soiling their pants over the smoke smell. I won't be surprised if someone calls the fire dept. That will be my badge of honor.

A spinet piano is a lot easier to move than an 8' grand. But once you get it in place that grand piano is immensely better! If you can't get any buddies to help you, consider hiring some help...it's only once. If you've got a come-along and inclined planes you've got tools better than backbone anyway.
Everyone should wear steel-toe shoes.
I'm assuming it's the weight that's the issue. If the size is just too big for your cooking area (hope you don't live in an apartment with just a balcony ledge!) it's a different set of problems.
It's heavy because the steel is pretty thick...that's a good thing. Still your firebox is looking pretty rusty. I'd vacuum it out good, lightly wire-brush it, then coat any rusted area with cooking oil. If the underside shows any sign of rust at all, put a coat of flat black there.

Reactions: Bworx
What would be the best way to clean the inside? It smells like fish and lighter fluid. PO smoked salmon in it.
A light washing with dish soap, and water followed by a good burn-out should take care of it. Then season with a food grade oil - Pam would do it.

It will be interesting when I actually fire this thing up and team save the planet starts soiling their pants over the smoke smell. I won't be surprised if someone calls the fire dept.
Your neighbors really wouldn't want to live in my neck of the woods.

1709673406861.png

Chris

A spinet piano is a lot easier to move than an 8' grand. But once you get it in place that grand piano is immensely better! If you can't get any buddies to help you, consider hiring some help...it's only once. If you've got a come-along and inclined planes you've got tools better than backbone anyway.
Everyone should wear steel-toe shoes.
I'm assuming it's the weight that's the issue. If the size is just too big for your cooking area (hope you don't live in an apartment

A light washing with dish soap, and water followed by a good burn-out should take care of it. Then season with a food grade oil - Pam would do it.

View attachment 690648

Chris
Awesome! Must be nice. They would lay in the roads blocking traffic crying and call the swat team if I did that. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003

View attachment 690648

Chris
My wife prefers to not be around when I have fires... sometimes I call the neighbors 1/2 mile away... saves them a trip! I like it Chris!
That's gonna hold alot of meat!

Ryan

My wife prefers to not be around when I have fires... sometimes I call the neighbors 1/2 mile away... saves them a trip! I like it Chris!
That's gonna hold alot of meat!

Ryan
Ha!!! my wife insists on being there when I get these going. She's afraid I'll fall asleep - which coincidentally is why I don't have them at night anymore. We've got one neighbor who bitches about them, but she's in the minority. Almost all my neighbors have one or two bonfires a year so she's realized that it's a lost cause to complain about them.

Chris

I watched a couple videos on how to clean these. What would be the best way to clean the inside? It smells like fish and lighter fluid. PO smoked salmon in it. On my modded propane grill I installed an adjustable propane regulator. I turn it up high and roast the entire inside. It turns to ash. I clean the ash out and it's done. Would I do the same thing with this? Get a raging hot fire and burn it out? Or do I pressure wash it with chemicals? I want to do this while it's in the north 40 of my property before I bring it up by my grilling area. It will be interesting when I actually fire this thing up and team save the planet starts soiling their pants over the smoke smell. I won't be surprised if someone calls the fire dept. That will be my badge of honor.
I had a neighbor call the fire department on me. Has a full on response. They smelled the bbq and asked what I was cooking. A few weeks later she called again. The car came up and asked what I was cooking. She called again and they told her to stop wasting their time. They were renters....they moved.

I had a neighbor call the fire department on me. Has a full on response. They smelled the bbq and asked what I was cooking. A few weeks later she called again. The car came up and asked what I was cooking. She called again and they told her to stop wasting their time. They were renters....they moved.
My neighbors have to like the smell of charcoal and wood. As I light some kind of grill every weekend. If the weather messes that up I light it on Mon. LoL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky