New member looking for a replacement smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ausome

Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Glad to have found this site and it appears I have a lot of reading to do.  I love smoking and have just arrived at my new "home" for the next 3 months.  I will be tailgating at my alma mater and plan to do a lot of smoking.  I just retired and this will be my first football season since leaving in 1982.  My wife and I sold the stick-built and we are now full-time RV'ers.  My NWTF (National Wild Turkey Foundation) model smoker (Masterbuilt) went belly up last week while doing a pork butt.  Had to finish it off in the oven, but it was close to done anyway, so it came out just fine.  

Anyway, we are currently in Auburn AL (War Eagle) and will be here for the season.  I'd like to find a good replacement for my non-functioning NWTF model, so please share suggestions.  Since we are full-time RV'ers, would like to keep weight down as much as possible.  I liked being able to add chips without having to open the door.  My old model had a readout that was next to impossible to read in the sun, so a better readout would be nice (or a thermometer).  Would like a smoker that will go beyond the 275 degree limit Masterbuilt seems to have settled on.  Some other features I've seen mentioned, but not sure how much they would actually add:  glass front door??; bluetooth??; digital probe (I have been using a probe I insert from outside).  Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what all is already on this site and hope to learn a lot.

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a nice day in East Texas and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Good Morning,

If I could give a suggestion to help you on our search. I would offer you taking a look at a Green Mountain Davy Crockett Tailgater. It's not a cabinet smoker like the Masterbuilt but being a full-time RV'ers this would fit perfectly into your RV and has a few different power options. You can double this up as a grill as well. Just food for thought. I purchased one back in April and I love it. You can also look into the WIFI model offered with the GMG lines of products. I hope this helps you a little.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky