New member in Killeen, TX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GreytQ

Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
Killeen, Texas
Moved to Central Texas from Southern Indiana a year ago this month. I had been smoking over hardwood charcoal, etc. for several years but translating those skills to TX wasn't working for me. Trying to manage the temperature and smoke level in all this WIND was just too much. Santa brought me a digital Smoke Hollow electric smoker last year (3016DEWS) and I've been very happy with it. So much easier to maintain a consistent temperature and smoke.

I've been pretty successful smoking ribs, Andouille sausages and pork butts. I haven't ventured toward the "Texas Holy Grail" of a beef brisket. It's definitely on my list for 2019. Waiting on a sale on briskets at H-E-B. :-)

Looking forward to learning more here on the Smoking Meat Forums.

Hey bud , welcome . All kinds of info here and great people willing to help . Enjoy .

Reactions: GreytQ
Welcome to the forum!

I used to live in Mansfield, TX...a burb south of Arlington (DFW area)...I totally get the wind thing!

Reactions: GreytQ
GreytQ,
Welcome from Virginia, don't let brisket scare you...trim it, salt and pepper, and let it ride. It's mostly and investment in time. Good luck and document/photograph your smokes 'cause no pictures it didn't happen.
Teddy

Thanks for the tag SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan !

GreytQ GreytQ , welcome! SMoking vol is correct. You showed up just in time!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/first-official-centex-que-brew-august-9th-11th.288510/

You are more than welcome to come down next weekend to visit for some brew and Que. It's our first official shindig we are starting up. If you have any interest, please post up in that thread. You are free to swing on through, eat and meet some great people. Will be some brisket too!

Again, Welcome!

Welcome from Central Texas :emoji_wink:

Thank you for the tag John. Very much appreciated!!

Zach, you beat me to it but great intro for SMF and for our event. Killeen is about an hour north of where the event is being held. Please give some consideration to joining us. It'll be well worth the trip, I promise!! Zach sent you the link but he didn't tell you that you'll need to set aside a few minutes to read through the entire thread. It's on to page 10 now and growing daily. It's well worth the read though. Lots of great stuff going on.

Keep us posted,
Robert

Welcome Grey!!
We (Mrs Bear & I) had an apartment on Gilmore Street, in Killeen, back in 1970.
It was a brand new building at the time. We were the first to rent in it.
Enjoy your stay!!

Bear

Welcome, good to have you here in Texas AND on SMF. I'm just down the road from you a couple hours in New Braunfels between San Antonio and Austin. Don't let the brisket scare you, it's actually pretty easy., I have one on the offset smoker right now as we speak and also a big pork butt. Going to finish them off Sous Vide in the water bathfor the night and then back in the heat/smoke a couple hours in the morning. We will eat good this weekend. Gimme a holler if I can be of any help in your smoking endeavors, I pretty much do it all from making sausage and pastrami to cheeses and boudain.

Thanks, guys!!
I'll spend some time reading the Cen-Tex gathering thread tonight. We might be able to move some things around and join you!
I was talking to our neighbor a few minutes ago and mentioned this event to him. I'm sending him a link to the group and this specific thread. Maybe he'll join us as well. I know he loves to smoke and grill!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Thanks, guys!!
I'll spend some time reading the Cen-Tex gathering thread tonight. We might be able to move some things around and join you!
I was talking to our neighbor a few minutes ago and mentioned this event to him. I'm sending him a link to the group and this specific thread. Maybe he'll join us as well. I know he loves to smoke and grill!
Excellent! hopefully you can swing it and him too!

if you need any additional info, hit me or Robert ( tx smoker tx smoker ) up and we'll assist the best we can.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky