New member from Chicago, first rib smoke, hooked for life!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radioclash75

Original poster
Feb 7, 2021
FA4F1CD5-C213-4415-A30D-8F99112A01B1.jpeg
3A12D0A7-CE23-4AA7-96AC-63989E4E494C.jpeg
BB67B584-A377-4CCA-846C-CC85E49E9467.jpeg
FA4F1CD5-C213-4415-A30D-8F99112A01B1.jpeg
E6876294-A74B-46EC-84F7-05BB2BE2CF95.jpeg
4FF64702-61A4-4FFB-A395-20686B261C4C.jpeg

Hey everyone, finally decided to stop lurking and join in! My awesome wife got me my new dynaglo offset for an early x-mas gift so I can break it in for x-mas dinner. After spending some time playing with it during seasoning and finding out how the cooking box balances out, especially since I’m doing the extra Self punishment of just using strictly wood during Chicago winters, I decided to break it in with some back ribs. They came out incredible!! I put in some firebrick in the top and just above firebox to use as a tuner and insulator and didn’t really follow any timeline, just went with internal temp and appearance. We like our ribs a little tender, so I wrapped them at about 195 and let them go for about another hour so they ended up at 210 and they were beyond amazing!! Used cherry only since I’m learning flavors and don’t want to start mixing too soon, and had a question about mixing sticks. Because of thin metal and outside temp controlling firebox was a challenge, but one that I thoroughly enjoyed, was thinking of tossing on a piece of birch every now and then since I have access to plenty of it and I heard it runs hot, and using only minimal sticks hoping it doesn’t affect flavor too much. May try that next month since I’m going to start playing with hickory next. Thanks for having me and am looking forward to chatting more!!
3A12D0A7-CE23-4AA7-96AC-63989E4E494C.jpeg
BB67B584-A377-4CCA-846C-CC85E49E9467.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF!! So easy to get hooked on smoking stuff. Great looking ribs.

I imagine not much smoking at your place this week. I know we are going to see lows here around 0F this week. I am considering moving south as soon as I retire (end of 2021 hopefully) just so I have more days to enjoy my "hobby".

Reactions: radioclash75
Welcome to SMF!! So easy to get hooked on smoking stuff. Great looking ribs.

I imagine not much smoking at your place this week. I know we are going to see lows here around 0F this week. I am considering moving south as soon as I retire (end of 2021 hopefully) just so I have more days to enjoy my "hobby".
I saw a video that someone made a nice wheeled cart for their smoker, was thinking about doing that with some insulated sides for off-season cooks, need to get back out there!!

Good looking ribs, welcome to SMF from Oregon. Going to need to get a drip tray for that smoker or your wife is going to stop buying outdoor cooking stuff for you when she sees her driveway, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: radioclash75
Good looking ribs, welcome to SMF from Oregon. Going to need to get a drip tray for that smoker or your wife is going to stop buying outdoor cooking stuff for you when she sees her driveway, lol.
Yeah, that’s already been mentioned!!😂

Welcome from Wisconsin. I cut my teeth on a Dyna-Glo wide smoker.

Made good Q but Wisconsin was just too cold to use it in the winter so I upgraded to an insulated cabinet smoker.

Looking at your pics, it seems you have done some of the mods I did to my Dyna-Glo.

Nice looking ribs. I may have to pull a few racks out now for the weekend.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky