New member from across the pond

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wade

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 12, 2013
Kent, UK
Hi - My name is Wade and I live in Kent in the UK.

I have been hooked on real BBQ for about 20 years - since the time that my (then) job took me reqularly to the USA. I paid just under $49 (about £30) for my first 22.5" Weber - shows how long ago it was - and I was also allowed to bring it back as hand luggage on the plane! That one was still in reqular use until it finally died in June last year, although its younger siblings are still going strong.

I have imported a couple of offset smokers over the years (New Braunfels and Klose) however am currently happy with my own stainless steel (locally commissioned) creation. Unfortunately it is quite big and not too portable but it was a good prototype and is easily adjustable to give me perfect cooking temperatures.

I have never really got into competition BBQ to date as I have never managed to be in the US at the right times and the UK competition circuit is very small and very cliquey. Maybe that will change over time - however BBQ is not all about competition it is also about having fun cooking great food for family and friends.

Over the past 4 years I have become very involved in cold smoking (fish, meat, cheese etc.) and have a variety of prototype smokers dotted around the garden. I am currently building a larger thermostatically controlled one that I am hoping to use semi-commercially to keep me active when I eventually retire. I am also just venturing into the world of air dried smoked sausage (Salami and Chorizo) and have so far succeeded in not giving anyone food poisoning
thumb1.gif
. HACCP trained so there would no excuses LOL.

If anyone in the Kent area (or beyond) wants to get in contact directly then please feel free to do so and I hope that I will be able to contribute regularly in the forum.

Have fun

Wade

Hi wade. I am lucky and live in an area where bbq is in our blood. I look corward to hearing more about the q there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Wade! :welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

Welcome aboard, Wade!  Glad you joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas.  Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky