New Master Forge Verticle Square Box Smoker-MFX784BDP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steve mark

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
I have received a new smoker for Xmas, I'm having a problem keeping the temp. up. It holds around 175 degrees.. It's about 30 degrees outside, is this the reason I can't get the temp. up? I've tried to put it where there's a wind break, and put the front into the wind...

Also, do I always need to keep the water in the pan about 1/3 from the top?

And should I put new wood chips in, about every 1 1/2 hours when it stops smoking?

New to this, just trying to figure it out, the instructions don't talk about any of this.

Thanks for the help.

Steve in Colorado

Hi Steve,

I have the same smoker but you have the new version but If I am having trouble keeping the temp up I will remove the water pan until its above the temp that i want. When I add water to my pan it usually drops about 30 degrees, so I get my temp up 30-40 degress higher before I add water. Same way if you cant get the temp up. Also keep all the vents closed that also helps. The cold hasnt played that big of a factor for me but the wind is a killer try to block it as much as you can. As for how much water, as long as there is water in there you will be fine just depends on how much you want to keep adding to to it. But the more water you have in there, the longer it will take for the water to heat up.And for the wood chips I add when there is no more smoke. I switched from chips to chunks though because there was alot more flare ups with the chips. Hope this helps and sorry that it took a while for someone to respond. Oh and :welcome1:

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky