New Masonry build in-progress

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jon mc

Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Hi all, 

So I started my masonry build earlier this summer, using a lot of information that I gleaned from this website as well as many others. I did the design myself, and overall it will include a vertical offset smoker, a wood-fired grill, and a domed pizza oven. I have about 3,000 brick left over from the construction of my house, so the build will consist of narrow concrete block and steel for the structural elements, firebrick on the inside, and home brick on the exterior. 

I had a contractor pour a 12' x 15' stabilized pad for me, and I'm doing the build on top of that. Your thoughts / suggestions are welcome. 

JM

Update pics from this weekend's efforts

Smoker 10-14_1.jpg Smoker 10-14_2.jpg Smoker 10-14_4.jpg Smoker 10-14_5.jpg

Reactions: brute
I was trying to work out if that was your house or the pit. It is huge. Nice work and great to see the kids helping and learning skills.

Hey all,
Sorry about no updates for a while... other projects on going at the same time.
I've completed all of my block work at this time -- over 300 partition block used.
I've also figured out that I am clearly not a great mason.
I'm going to install the fire brick in the smoke box and the wood fired grill next, and then the poured concrete tops, counters, and sills.

Last edited:
I have not made any updates to this thread for a long time - sorry. I travel a lot for work.

At the end of last fall I completed the smoke box, and then just after the first of the year I decided that between my travel schedule and the fact that I am merely an amateur mason, that I should hire a professional for the brick work, since it would be most visible. The pics attached to this are for both of those things - smoke box / last courses of black and the brick work. Next will come the tops, which I intend to pour-in-place and / or maybe cap with stone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky