New Kettle grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lol....I grew up in Santa Maria. No public park or Agentine style barbecue has a flip up grate. I know what I am doing. Don't get caught up in that rotisserie or flip grate crap. Keep it basic and I promise you will enjoy it more.

So for my first cook with the Fire Butler I decided to smoke 20ibs of pork and a 3ib beef chuck for my co-workers. I did a count of charcoal used prior to cook and the Fire Butler can hold without any wood in it a total of 135 pieces of KBB. I used a total of 11oz of wood a mixture of cherry and pecan, along with 15 lit charcoal and the wood then 109 KBB on top I started my cook. Now my problem I decided to add a water pan to this and that was the wrong thing to do it added so much moisture that I had to dump the ash pan because it start to fill with water. I used the bayou classic water pan inside the griddle under the some foil, I put a few holes in the foil to allow for the moisture to release and the water started to boil I used hot water to fill it with.

Some pics of the food just going on the Fire Butler, I didn't take any pics of the finish product my co-workers liked it but I wasn't satisfied so I will be doing another cook this coming Sunday and I will post pics from start to finish. But a few changes starting with filling the Fire Butler with all KBB a total of 135 pieces and use my Amazing Tube to add smoke during the cook.

This is the griddle seasoned. I did that in my oven just like I would cast iron.

The chuck was covered with Tanaka Dust!

The meat is on and you might be able to see the smoke starting to rise from the Fire Butler.

Again I will be doing another cook with full pictures taken from stat to finish, and the total cook time was 10 and I didn't refuel.

I will be watching this. I just bought a cheap 22.5 webber

There is only one thing I wish. I wish I could redoe the porcelain paint job. But it was free so I do not care. However I love the flavor. Of what this thing produces.....for its size and quality....I am so happy.

Interesting.  I'll stay tuned for the next smoke.
popcorn.gif

I have a Weber 22.5" grill, and I wanted to try smoking some meat on it using indirect heating.  As this would be my first time using it for smoking, I was looking for advice on what to use for fuel and how to arrange it in the grill.  I have seen posts and videos of people using briquette charcoal and others that use hardwood lump charcoal. I know that sometimes the charcoal is arranged all on one side of the grill and the meat is on the other side over a pan of water or other liquid.  I have also seen the pan of liquid surrounded by charcoal, but that doesn't seem very indirect to me.   

For the wood, I have seen people use wood chunks and say that is better than wood chips, I assume for the amount of time it will burn and produce smoke..   All I have at home now are wood chips, but I think I could get bigger pieces if need be. 

I know that some of this is based on personal preference, but being new to smoking I don't have a preference yet.  Any advice based on experience or preference would be much appreciated. 

I have a Weber 22.5" grill, and I wanted to try smoking some meat on it using indirect heating.  As this would be my first time using it for smoking, I was looking for advice on what to use for fuel and how to arrange it in the grill.  I have seen posts and videos of people using briquette charcoal and others that use hardwood lump charcoal. I know that sometimes the charcoal is arranged all on one side of the grill and the meat is on the other side over a pan of water or other liquid.  I have also seen the pan of liquid surrounded by charcoal, but that doesn't seem very indirect to me.   

For the wood, I have seen people use wood chunks and say that is better than wood chips, I assume for the amount of time it will burn and produce smoke..   All I have at home now are wood chips, but I think I could get bigger pieces if need be. 

I know that some of this is based on personal preference, but being new to smoking I don't have a preference yet.  Any advice based on experience or preference would be much appreciated. 
I set things up with the charcoal (I prefer briquette) on one side of the grate, and a drip pan on the other.  Over the fire I place a water pan , and the food over the drip pan, both on the cooking grate level.  That way I can baste the meat with its own drippings.  As far as wood goes I use chunks, but the best way to use chips on charcoal, is to make a foil pouch.  Take tin foil, put a handful of chips on one half, fold other half over, and fold outside edges to close.  Cut a few slit on top side to let the smoke out.  Hope this helps.

I took the leap and did my first small smoke on my Weber grill this weekend.  I had a small sirloin steak that I did using indirect heating.  I had some seasoned hickory wood that I got from a local sawmill and cut into chunks and put a few on the hot charcoal.  I even remembered a drip pan.  I put a marinade on it, let it sit in the fridge for an hour or 2, and then put it on the grill.  I found a meat thermometer that my dear wife had bought for me and had that in the steak to monitor the internal temp.  the extra flavor that the smoke added was wonderful, and I don't think I can go back to regular grilling again.  The postings on this website helped me greatly with this. 

I set things up with the charcoal (I prefer briquette) on one side of the grate, and a drip pan on the other.  Over the fire I place a water pan , and the food over the drip pan, both on the cooking grate level.  That way I can baste the meat with its own drippings.  As far as wood goes I use chunks, but the best way to use chips on charcoal, is to make a foil pouch.  Take tin foil, put a handful of chips on one half, fold other half over, and fold outside edges to close.  Cut a few slit on top side to let the smoke out.  Hope this helps.
Jasper7, do you soak the chips in water before you put them in the foil, or do they go in dry?  A lot of what I have read about using chips says to soak them first to get more smoke. 

Jasper7, do you soak the chips in water before you put them in the foil, or do they go in dry?  A lot of what I have read about using chips says to soak them first to get more smoke. 
No I don't soak wood chips, you just produce more steam, not more smoke.  I prefer to use chunks, but the tin foil method is the best way I know of to use chips with charcoal.

I just picked up a new Kettle master touch from Wal-Mart for $99.00 could not pass it up.  The had two more almost picked up all three to give the other to away,but wife would not have been happy. I have a MES smoker already. Looking forward to smoking in this, that way I have options.

I am looking for a thermometer to put on my Weber grill to monitor the cooking temp.  Any suggestions as to which one to get, or features I should be looking for?

Once I have one, would I be better installing it on the top of the grill or on the side to get accurate readings?

I am looking for a thermometer to put on my Weber grill to monitor the cooking temp.  Any suggestions as to which one to get, or features I should be looking for?

Once I have one, would I be better installing it on the top of the grill or on the side to get accurate readings?
I use one of my Maverick ET-732's  and run the wire through the upper vent lowering it down to the meat grate.

Tel Tru makes an excellent thermometer, and somewhere near the top would work, but keep in mind the probe is 3 or 4 inches long. A Maverick of some kind would be more versatile. You can get a basic one @ Home Depot for less than $20. Ones with a remote cost a bit more but you can carry the receiver around with you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky