New here! And I’d like to decide on a new smoker in the next couple of days.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alsaleen

Original poster
Dec 5, 2021
I’d like to pick out my first smoker here in the next couple of days so I’m here for advice. It would mainly be used for sausage (summer&snack sticks) but I have a lot of venison and beef/pork In the freezers.

My dad and his friend each settled on the pk100 electric smoker and have absolutely loved it over the years. However it’s alot more expensive then when they bought it and doesn’t have meat probes or WiFi/Bluetooth built in. The WiFi/blue tooth isn’t needed but monitoring from inside would be nice during the Wisconsin winters.

I haven’t ruled the pk100 out yet but noticed the smoking it 3.5d WiFi. Any suggestions for a quality electric smoker in the 1500-2000 range?

friends do keep telling me to get a horizontal or vertical pellet smoker bus I have concerns about hanging sausage and most I have looked at don’t go below 180

experiences with these or similar models would help too.

I’d like to be able to do 25 lbs or 6 ish tubes of summer at a time.
thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Colorado.

I can’t help with electric smokers, I run a big wooded smokehouse that I built, but I can say that buying a pellet grill to smoke sausage is not a good idea for reasons that you already mentioned.
As to the WiFi and other electric smokers, you really should plan on buying an electronic thermometer with multiple ports like from Inkbird that has WiFi. None of the controllers on pretty much any electric machine are accurate. It’s best to monitor smoker temp and meat temp independently.

Welcome from pa, I have a mes 30 that I'm happy with, but if I was going to buy another I would go with mes 40, also as mentioned look into a separate thermometer, and a amnps pellet tray for 10-12 hours of continuous smoke, these work great for cold smoking also.

MES 40 with a PID is an exceptional smoker for doing sausage/jerky.
I did 50# summer sausage at one time ( A little much, wouldn't do that much at once again)
20200204_131822.jpg

Winterrider Winterrider that is a solid recommendation. Mes40 + the auber wifi pid controller. If you want you can add a convection fan to even Temps out and get better coverage. Mailbox mod for smoke.

I have a mes30 set up like this and my only complaint is I wish id gotten the mes40

I haven’t ruled the pk100 out yet but noticed the smoking it 3.5d WiFi. Any suggestions for a quality electric smoker in the 1500-2000 range?
The PK 100 has a good reputation and has been around a long time. Are you looking at the stainless steel PK 100 Pro? It is pricey, similar in cost to the Model 4 from Smokin-it. Compare them side by side, warranty by warranty, and the like. If considering the Smokin-it smokers, you might also look at the cold smoker attachment. The smoker is predrilled to accept the Bella cold smoker, sold by SI. Here is a video on cold smoker attachments that may be helpful.

Last edited:
The PK 100 has a good reputation and has been around a long time. Are you looking at the stainless steel PK 100 Pro? It is pricey, similar in cost to the Model 4 from Smokin-it. Compare them side by side, warranty by warranty, and the like. If considering the Smokin-it smokers, you might also look at the cold smoker attachment. The smoker is predrilled to accept the Bella cold smoker, sold by SI. Here is a video on cold smoker attachments that may be helpful.

Yes it would be the pk100 that’s stainless.
I do like the cold smoker attachment for the smokin it.
I Wonder if something like that is needed for the pk100 as it claims it’s temp control goes to 65 degrees, most likely needed for smoke generation that low?

I wanted large electric smoker when I first started but didnt see any I liked. I got old antique fridge off craigslist and insulated with ceramic fiber. Put an auberins temp controller on oven element and she was good to go. Total cost can prob be done under $700 depending on what find CL and FB marketplace. Will def have cool factor

Reactions: alsaleen
Yes it would be the pk100 that’s stainless.
I do like the cold smoker attachment for the smokin it.
I Wonder if something like that is needed for the pk100 as it claims it’s temp control goes to 65 degrees, most likely needed for smoke generation that low?
I don't cold smoke (no interest) so really cannot say anything about it other than what is on the SI Site. But if the video above is trustworthy, I think I would go with the Bella over the SmokeDaddy based upon the coolness of the smoke and duration as witnessed in the video. But as I said, I don't cold smoke so unless someone else comes along with experience, you're pretty much on your own. Steve at SI answers his phone and his emails as do the folks at PS Seasonings, makers of the PK smoker. They will have the last word, and maybe just a wee bit biased. Good luck!

I don't cold smoke (no interest) so really cannot say anything about it other than what is on the SI Site. But if the video above is trustworthy, I think I would go with the Bella over the SmokeDaddy based upon the coolness of the smoke and duration as witnessed in the video. But as I said, I don't cold smoke so unless someone else comes along with experience, you're pretty much on your own. Steve at SI answers his phone and his emails as do the folks at PS Seasonings, makers of the PK smoker. They will have the last word, and maybe just a wee bit biased. Good luck!
thanks! I am still waiting for a reply about usable interior dimensions, so we shall see. Otherwise it will have to be the PK but I was hoping to get the 3.5D so I can use some of that money for a grinder!

Welcome from centrral Missouri

I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. I ended up buying my 3rd MES40. I was trying to stay under $1,000. The low tmp control for sausage is excellent.

I just made 22 pounds of sausage in my MES40 and it turned out great...but...it was too much of a load for laying the links on the racks. The links were not touching, but the space between them was tiny. I started drying at 10:30 AM and they got to temp at midnight. My next batch will be around 10 pounds...maybe 15...depending on how early they get into the smoker.

IMG_7646.jpg

Reactions: 912smoker
thanks! I am still waiting for a reply about usable interior dimensions, so we shall see. Otherwise it will have to be the PK but I was hoping to get the 3.5D so I can use some of that money for a grinder!
You can call Steve. Phone number is on his site.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky