New guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbruski

Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
Pa
Hey y'all ... Just got a 40 master built electric smoker (MES?)
Livin in Pa & I have never seen anything about how many times I am supposed "refresh" wood chips. I'm doing some simple thigh & legs to try it out today. I guess I'll redress wood chips 2x????

Welcome to the site, congrats on the new smoker.  This is a great place to learn how to get the most out of it.  As far as your wood chips go, add more as the old ones get burned up.  As you use it this will become easy to see when more are needed.  Try doing a dry run with your smoker, before you try smoking something.  Hope this helps, keep on smokin'.

Reactions: jbruski
Hey y'all ... Just got a 40 master built electric smoker (MES?)
Livin in Pa & I have never seen anything about how many times I am supposed "refresh" wood chips. I'm doing some simple thigh & legs to try it out today. I guess I'll redress wood chips 2x????
Welcome to the Forum !

I have a MES 30, from what I hear the wood chips do not like staying lit at low temps on these smokers, may want to invest in a AMNPS Pellet smoker to sit in the bottom in place of the chip container, they will give you good smoke at any temp, and from what I have read on mine it says to check the chips every 30 mins...........................seems like a bit often huh, that is another reason I got the AMNPS Pellet Smoker, it lasts up to 11 hours and is real small and pellets are very inexpensive as well.  
yahoo.gif

welcome1.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky