New guy with MES - planning my first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TShepp84

Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Hey everyone! New user here, completely brand new to smoking but I'm really excited to get started! I am a huge fan of babyback ribs and pulled pork and hoping I can conjure up a good home recipes/methods to satisfy my cravings :)

I recently was gifted a MES40 (Model 20075315) that I'm ready to unpack and give things a shot this weekend. I was thinking about buying a couple racks of ribs this weekend as my first attempt before venturing into pork butts and other dishes. I have been browsing this forum and a few other places to gather the "best" tips/methods to get started - trying to not get overwhelmed as a newbie with info but here is my plan from what I have gathered:

For my first go-round I'm conflicted if I should just buy some chips to use with the MES tube which sounds like I'd have to plan to refill them every 45 mins (not a huge deal to me) or otherwise grab an AMNPS and pellets right away. Is there really a big advantage to investing into the AMNPS for my first time? I've also read about the mailbox mods and such but I don't think I am even close to being on that level yet.

My plan of attack:
  • Season 2 racks heavily with my choice of rub and wrap overnight.
  • Put in the smoker at 225* for 3 hours.
  • Pull ribs, place in foil with a little apple cider vinegar and maybe some brown sugar, wrap foil
  • Ribs in foil back in smoker for 2 hours.
  • Pull ribs and unwrap foil, add a little more seasoning possibly
  • Ribs back in smoker for approx 30-60 mins
  • Done
Am I missing anything or do you have any suggestions. I really am a newbie to this so I am open to comments to help me out. THANKS!!

For baby backs, I usually see pit masters use a 2-2-1 method.

As far as smoke goes, I don't have much experience with electric smokers, however, many pit masters modify their MES units with what they call the mailbox mod to get a good smoke going. This is handy especially at low smoking temps.

A small AMNPS tube won't break the bank and can be used to get a better smoke out of your MES.

Search the forums. There is a plethora of information about MES smokers.

Happy cooking!

JC :emoji_cat:

Hey everyone! New user here, completely brand new to smoking but I'm really excited to get started! I am a huge fan of babyback ribs and pulled pork and hoping I can conjure up a good home recipes/methods to satisfy my cravings :)

I recently was gifted a MES40 (Model 20075315) that I'm ready to unpack and give things a shot this weekend. I was thinking about buying a couple racks of ribs this weekend as my first attempt before venturing into pork butts and other dishes. I have been browsing this forum and a few other places to gather the "best" tips/methods to get started - trying to not get overwhelmed as a newbie with info but here is my plan from what I have gathered:

For my first go-round I'm conflicted if I should just buy some chips to use with the MES tube which sounds like I'd have to plan to refill them every 45 mins (not a huge deal to me) or otherwise grab an AMNPS and pellets right away. Is there really a big advantage to investing into the AMNPS for my first time? I've also read about the mailbox mods and such but I don't think I am even close to being on that level yet.

My plan of attack:
  • Season 2 racks heavily with my choice of rub and wrap overnight.
  • Put in the smoker at 225* for 3 hours.
  • Pull ribs, place in foil with a little apple cider vinegar and maybe some brown sugar, wrap foil
  • Ribs in foil back in smoker for 2 hours.
  • Pull ribs and unwrap foil, add a little more seasoning possibly
  • Ribs back in smoker for approx 30-60 mins
  • Done
Am I missing anything or do you have any suggestions. I really am a newbie to this so I am open to comments to help me out. THANKS!!

Get a good thermo probe to monitor the inside temp.MES have been known to be way off.Inkbird has some real good deals and they make a good product.
Richie

Welcome aboard. I used the loader when I first started. It only really heats the chips when the heating element comes on. I used to use a torch to get the chips started before I load them. I think your plan of attack is a good one. Can't go wrong with the 3,2,1 method. Show us pictures of the cook. We love to see pictures and drool.

I used chips the first time I used my MES40 and I never used them again. I think you should give the chips a try your first go around and make your own conclusions after that but the AMNPS is well worth the money IMO. I sit mine right in the smoker under the water pan on the left side. Didn't need to do the mailbox mod.

As far as your plan goes on the ribs I think you got it down! Go 3-2-1 for spares and 2-2-1 for BB's. Aim for a smoke temp of 225-250. This will yield you fall of the bone style ribs. Try adding some squeeze butter in the foil as well.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions along the way as they come up and post some pics!

Reactions: TShepp84
I have a mes 30, nothing wrong with using the chips if you don't mind reloading every 30-45 minutes, as mentioned they will not burn unless you get your mes over 200-210, advantages of the amnps tray you'll get up to 10 hours of continuous smoke, but I don't think you'll need it for your first smoke. also as Richie mentioned don't trust the mes thermometer, they're notoriously off, check out bearcarvers step by steps he has a bunch of info on the mes's

Get a good thermo probe to monitor the inside temp.MES have been known to be way off.Inkbird has some real good deals and they make a good product.
Richie

Thanks for the suggestion. Just to make sure I am understanding, you are talking about the meat probe, right? If so, I do have a Weber that I've used for kitchen cooking and grilling and have also previously had friends refer me to the ThermoPro models (not used with Smartphone app). I'll have to check out Inkbird also.

I used chips the first time I used my MES40 and I never used them again. I think you should give the chips a try your first go around and make your own conclusions after that but the AMNPS is well worth the money IMO. I sit mine right in the smoker under the water pan on the left side. Didn't need to do the mailbox mod.

As far as your plan goes on the ribs I think you got it down! Go 3-2-1 for spares and 2-2-1 for BB's. Aim for a smoke temp of 225-250. This will yield you fall of the bone style ribs. Try adding some squeeze butter in the foil as well.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions along the way as they come up and post some pics!

Thanks! I thought to just get the AMNPS right away but since I am (only) smoking ribs my first time and will be hanging out watching football, I thought why not just try it with chips since I am keeping an eye on it quite a bit...If it was going to be an overnight smoke or something a lot longer then I think I will do the AMNPS. As far as adding chips, should I add them for the whole 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 or do you just refill for a portion of the smoking?

Thanks for the butter tip!! I just watched another video where someone showed squeeze butter and brown sugar when foiling - I think I am going to do that!

I see some people opening the smoker and spritzing the ribs with apple juice to keep them moist or putting liquid in the water pan - is that really necessary?

I'm really excited to see how this goes.

Last edited:
When they say the thermometer is off they aren't taking about a meat probe. The actual heat setting thermometer is most likely off. Mine was off a good 20 degrees. Get a thermometer like a Maverick and calibrate it in boiling water. Don't trust what the MES panel temperature says.

I set my smoker for 225, and add smoke the whole time, I usually do st. louis style, I don't wrap at all, usually take 6-7 hours for them, baby backs usually take less time. everyone does them different so you'll have to try a couple different ways until you fine the way you like.

Thanks! I thought to just get the AMNPS right away but since I am (only) smoking ribs my first time and will be hanging out watching football, I thought why not just try it with chips since I am keeping an eye on it quite a bit...If it was going to be an overnight smoke or something a lot longer then I think I will do the AMNPS. As far as adding chips, should I add them for the whole 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 or do you just refill for a portion of the smoking?

Thanks for the butter tip!! I just watched another video where someone showed squeeze butter and brown sugar when foiling - I think I am going to do that!

I see some people opening the smoker and spritzing the ribs with apple juice to keep them moist or putting liquid in the water pan - is that really necessary?

I'm really excited to see how this goes.

You don’t have to run chips while the ribs are wrapped in foil as they won’t take on any smoke during that time but anytime they are unwrapped I would keep the chips rolling.

As far as spritzing I personally don’t think it’s necessary if you are going to wrap them up. If I was going naked the whole time I probably would spritz once an hour but it’s really personal preference and what you like. Good thing is you got plenty of time for trial and error. That’s what makes smoking fun.

Nothing better than meat on the smoker, cold beer in the cooler, and watching football!

What type of wood are you going to use?

Nothing better than meat on the smoker, cold beer in the cooler, and watching football!

What type of wood are you going to use?

Amen to that!! I have to go shopping for some chips tomorrow. I was a little intrigued by the Jack Daniels barrel chips but I’m thinking I’ll stick to a standard Hickory or Applewood.

Last edited:
Amen to that!! I have to go shopping for some chips tomorrow. I was a little intrigued by the Jack Daniels barrel chips but I’m thinking I’ll stick to a standard Hickory or Applewood.

Apple and hickory are both good choices. If you are going shopping get some stuff to throw a pan of beans together. Put them under the ribs and let those ribs drip down into the beans while they cook. Will take it to a whole new level!

Apple and hickory are both good choices. If you are going shopping get some stuff to throw a pan of beans together. Put them under the ribs and let those ribs drip down into the beans while they cook. Will take it to a whole new level!
Oh wow that sounds awesome. Just regular baked beans or do you use plain navy beans/ pork & beans and let this flavor it?

I was planning to get the AMNPS tray just because I’ve seen it recommended the most, is the tube a better choice?
No. Get the tray for use in a MBS. The tube will put out too much smoke in your smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky