New guy, still in the buying process!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdguess

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
Chicagoland, South Burbs
Hi everybody! I am completely new to the smoking world, but my obsession has been constant for the last month and a half or so with acquiring a smoker. My wife and I just bought our first house last summer, and now that I have the yard and space to actually do this I am in overdrive mode to acquire a smoker! Based off of my research thus far I am aiming for a WSM as my daily smoker in the medium term. In the short term, however, I just want to get something to get started for this summer and most of my money is going toward working on the house right now. So, for this year my plan is to acquire something off of CL, letgo, OfferUp, etc. Most likely a vertical smoker, as those seem to be going for the best price on the used market without a ton of rust and stuff.

Any input would be appreciated! I guarantee I will have a smoker of some sort within the next two to four weeks, probably sooner.

Can't wait to smoke with y'all!

I wouldn't hesitate to get a masterbuilt of other electric smoker to get you started.

Readily available in the secondary market, reasonable cost and electric allows you to learn about all the other parts of smoking before you dig into the fire management end of it. That way you're not trying to learn everything at once and ending up totally frustrated.

It's nice to be able to produce predictable results and then start learning different mediums, already knowing what the final product should be

Reactions: thirdguess
Just my 2 cents a webber kettle 22.5 or the 18.5 is the best to learn on to smoke using the offset method. The kettle can also be used as a grill a cheap add on for that is a Vortex,that will even enhance your cooking abilities.
Welcome to SMF
Richie
2nd vote for a Weber kettle. Once you learn, it can do almost anything. Very reasonable price as well.
Get your self a Weber kettle . You wont be sorry . Best of both worlds .
Another vote for the kettle to start off. Love that thing....
Thanks for the input guys! Just to clarify, by "Weber kettle," are you guys talking about the Smoky mountain? It seems like the best choice honestly, but I can't really drop the cash for a new one right now and finding one on the secondary market seems impossible in my area (I've been looking for the last 6 weeks at least, and not one has popped up for a "decent used price," although the resale value certainly speaks positively for how great they are!).

They are referring to a 22 inch Weber Kettle. I know it’s a charcoal grill but many smoke on it. I have a 26 inch kettle which I use all the time. They’re fun too. Lots of videos online to show you how to smoke, grill, or whatever online. I’ve Used to own a 22 inch wsm in the past. I liked it. I like my 26 inch kettle more though lol. The only charcoal unit id replace my 26 in kettle with would be a Weber summit charcoal grill.

I vote for a kettle also, a 26" if you can find 1, lot of accessory's for them also to do almost any style of cooking you want to do,

Thanks for the input guys! Just to clarify, by "Weber kettle," are you guys talking about the Smoky mountain? It seems like the best choice honestly, but I can't really drop the cash for a new one right now and finding one on the secondary market seems impossible in my area (I've been looking for the last 6 weeks at least, and not one has popped up for a "decent used price," although the resale value certainly speaks positively for how great they are!).
T thirdguess if you had your location it would help,their are a lot of people on this site that are very helpful.You may have one as a neighbor and not know it.
You can get a kettle reasonably cheap and it will produce great BBQ or Smoked foods.
Good Luck
Richie

Another vote for the Weber Kettle. There is nothing you can't cook on a kettle, great for learning, reasonably priced, will last a long time if cared for. RAY

I received a Weber 22" grill for a work anniversary gift 4 or 5 years ago, and until recently, have only grilled on it. I bought an original vortex a month or so ago and have made several dozen wings on them. I have been very impressed with them along with several of the guys at the station. I can see where this Weber will be getting much more use as a smoker in the near future.

I started on a kettle. They’re ok... I mean they’re versatile if you like to grill and stuff too. Personally I would go electric. I agree with “fivetricks”. Just grab a masterbuilt from Walmart. Focus on the food/ recipes and Temps and cook times. Then work your way up to an offset. Fire management is a whole different beast

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky