New guy question- oil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jimmie1313

Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Question from a new guy- I recently switched from an MeS to a Texas Trio offset smoker and I like it much better. It has made the process much more enjoyable too. I completed my first smoke session today after I seasoned it the other day (lots of veggie oil coating and a 6 hr smoke). Today, some oil missed my drip pan and dripped into the bottom of my smoker. I pushed some of this through the drainage hole but there was still oil in the base of the smoker. What do I do here? Leave it for more seasoning? Try to wipe it dry?
Thanks for the advice.

Like Jake said. Don’t worry about it. It’s a smoker, it’s gonna see a lot more drippings than that.

Welcome...A little Fat/Oil won't hurt. If it is allowed to accumulate, you can grow Mold and eventually it can go Rancid and Stink! Not a Seasoning you want on your meat...JJ

After every cook in my offset I would scrape down the belly where the drippings built up and use paper towels to muck out the mess.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky