New Guy, New Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rjk015

Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Holden, Massachusetts
7bae759f_2012-06-16_20-04-22_899.jpg
While searching the internet about smokers, I came across smoking meat forums. It didn't take me long to decide that I had to build a smoker for myself. I started the build 3 weeks ago. It is based on a 125 gallon propane tank.

That should be a good build for ya! I love watching these pits come together. Welcome to the forum.

Nice start. How bout going into rollcall introducing yourself and telling us a few things about yourself. Like what area in mass? I'm in Weymouth.                                           
welcome1.gif

f3e553bb_2012-07-14_21-50-16_77.jpg

Chimney's just about done, still need to make a rain cap.

3d9b1ceb_2012-07-14_21-48-28_709.jpg

Firebox door is on.  I made my own latches with angle iron.  I welded a 5/8" rods to the door, cut some threads on them.  Drilled holes in the angle iron and bolted them on.  I'll be able to adjust them by adding washers.

76fbda4d_2012-07-14_21-48-44_969.jpg

efb5949b_2012-07-14_21-48-12_304.jpg

Frame is tacked welded in place

rjk, morning....   Looking like it's about ready to fire up and smoke something......   
popcorn.gif
......   I'm in for the debut.....   Dave

Still need to finish a few things but I couldn't resist and cooked up some ribs.  Here's a little q-view (I'm

not too good with the camera).

6 slabs of pork ribs

Cooked up some corn on the cob to go with the ribs.  Also made some baked potatos. The potatos were quite done, so they went directly into the firebox to finish up.

rj, morning....  everything looks wonderful..... great job on the grits.....   are you happy with your new smoker ??  I would think so...  Dave

rjk, evening..... A question about the "fire brick lined firebox"....  I have made and used fire pits that were lined with fire brick.... I liked the way everything burned up totally.... very, very little ash.....  I noticed your firebox and it looked clean.....   Most folks use a "screen" basket...  have you any comparison between the screen and firebrick fireboxes..... If I knew any more questions to ask, I would.....  Help me out here and fill in the gaps I forgot....     Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
I think the guys use the baskets for charcoal. I'm only burning wood, so it is not necessary. I lined the bottom of the firebox for a couple of reasons. One reason was to protect the metal, I didnt want it to sag over time due to the heat and weight of the wood. Another reason was to keep the heat lower underneath the fire box and stop my wheels from melting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky