New guy here looking for some brisket help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bassmantweed

Original poster
Jun 15, 2019
Hello everyone,

What a great forum to find!!!!!

I am a long time hobbyist/cook/bbq guy. I must say I do pretty well with everything but brisket.

Chicken - amazing!
Pork - really really good.
Brisket -

I am new to smoking and have tried my hand at a few briskets.

Round 1: cook at 225 ( no crutch) until it reached 185, pulled, wrapped in foil and a beach towel, put in the cooler for an hour. Results were decent, but not as tender as I like.

Enter google, according to google (which knows everything) I should leave it on until 203 so the fat can break down.

Round 2: Cooked at 225 (no crutch) until it reached 203, pulled, wrapped and held in a cooler for two hours. Very dry.

Round 3: same as first except pulled at 190, was best yet but still not the resteraunt quality brisket I’m looking for.

I started on a master built smoker as I want electric. I had a big green egg but I just don’t have the time to baby sit a smoker all day. I ended up returning the masterbuilf for a few reasons. Main reason is they paint the inside of the unit where the door closes and the paint was burning off. Can’t be good to eat. The other reason was the ridiculous Bluetooth feature which requires you to physically press a button on the unit every time you want to change temps. What’s the point might as well change temp on the unit. $100 worthless feature.

Enter google again and all my searches led me to cookshack.

So for those of you still reading I need some guidance in my brisket. Google tells me to pull it at temps from 175-205. Most people say just give it the probe test and when it’s done it’s done.

That will be my next test, might crutch too, but any other tips are appreciated.

My feelings are you should start probe testing them when they reach 195*. Personally, I quite using a Thermo on brisket completely and just go by looks and feel alone.
I like cooking without using gadgets often as I can, the way I was taught by old ranchers that never used anything but their nose, eyes, and fingers to know when things are done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky