new guy from new jerz

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slitterman1

Original poster
Jun 1, 2015
hello all,

j from jersey,  new to smoking...

i had a little smoker, home depot cheapy from last year. attemepted to smoke a couple racks of ribs towards the end of last summer....FAIL.  went back to it a couple weeks back and a repeated fail.  back to google. 

always seemed to bring me to posts on this site....interesting.

so i decided it should try offset smoker instead.  that way  i am not burning food.

picked up a ok joe smoker... the smaller one.   messed up some ribs this sat. and threw out a but yesterday after 6 hours of my style smoking and then hitting it with a thermo....read 200 so i thought i was good... it did look good unlike my other smokes.

wife brought it in, sliced it,  yelled its still raw....so i chucked it.

i will keep reading and keep trying.   just might need a 3rd job to pay for practice meats.

great site from what i have been seeing so far

j

Welcome to the board! Try learning on something quick and inexpensive like chicken pieces.

If those ribs were under-cooked, you could have finished them in the oven. There's no un-scorching meats, though.

thanks for reply.

last batch of ribs i made,  on the little piece,  looked great un till i decided to do something i saw on you tube.  brown sugar and butter. left on too long and garbage.  new smoker.  ribs  wife did put in the oven. but i think i may have messed up the flavor from my mixed rubs to what i mopped with.  i should have def not thrown out the butt. but too late. 

think i will try chicken parts this weekend.

thanks again for reply

Welcome to the site neighbor. Use the search bar it is a great tool. As stated try some chicken parts.Verify your probe with the boiling water test,check the gauges on the smoker also.

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a nice warm day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Thanks for the welcome. I will try again this weekend May give bacon a try just for practice before the weekend tho

Loving it so far. Learning a lot. Smoked some bacon for lunch today and a small loin for dinner. Both came out great. Lil spicy was the loin but wrapped in bacon was real good. Finally. Something I can eat. Have some chicken brining now. See what happens tomorrow
Thanks again for welcome

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky