new guy from California

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jackpunx

Original poster
May 19, 2015
Hi all ,
My name is Mark and i live in the Santa Clarita area , ive neen bbq in for a long time and over the last 10 yrs or ao ive gotten into smoking. i started with an electric, got a char griller as a gift and purchased the smoke box. After some research i modified it into a reverse flow and it works pretty good. I also have a propane griller , some dutch ovens ,a maverick etc.
my wife wants me to get rid of some of my bbqs lmao i tell her they are all tools for different jobs. she'll never get it.
When i started looking to upgrade she wants me to get somthing that will do it all. So i agreed to look for that (but im having a hard time getting rid of my current stuff, a coversation for later lol)
I'm looking at lang 36 hyphenate deluxe, shirley fabrications and bge (which i can get here )
i cant dind any local fabricators that know about reverse flow or bbq in general (yet) and shipping is about $800 .i know .. bbq started in the Midwest and thats where all the quality fabricators are lol.
They weigh about 800 lbs and i need to travel it in the back of my toy hauler. So far i like the paul shirly , it has wagon wheels for un even surface and the warmer box is also a dirct cooker.
I want a competition style rig but small enough for me to do alone. So that puts me in the 30-40" range.
Its hard to spend 1-2 k on a bbq (my wife doesnt know that part yet) and not be able to meet or see in person someones work.
I decided to go to some competition s and look at what people are using (i dont want a wsm) going to egg fest and some other comp coming up next month.
Ive been trolling for a while. I thougjt i would jump in and meet you all
Thanks in advance
Mark

Welcome Mark!

My only experience is with a WSM, and with a 22.5 kettle grill, I seem to be able to "do it all" .  Everything I need anyway, not looking to smoke a whole hog just yet!  Happy Smoking!

Mike

Welcome Mark!

My only experience is with a WSM, and with a 22.5 kettle grill, I seem to be able to "do it all" .  Everything I need anyway, not looking to smoke a whole hog just yet!  Happy Smoking!

Mike
Thanks for the welcome Mike! Im not anti wsm , i just want a big daddy:yahoo: I may end up with one because the bge is pretty delicat for travel.

Welcome to the forum Mark! Too many smokers, huh? I'd say that's a good problem to have! I've only been smoking for a little over a year and am still running electric, so can't offer advice on smoker selection. Just wanted to say Hi and good luck finding the right smoker for you, and then good luck selling it to the wife! LOL  Happy smokin', David.

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a pretty nice day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Welcome to the forum Mark! Too many smokers, huh? I'd say that's a good problem to have! I've only been smoking for a little over a year and am still running electric, so can't offer advice on smoker selection. Just wanted to say Hi and good luck finding the right smoker for you, and then good luck selling it to the wife! LOL  Happy smokin', David.
Lol
Thanks David and Gary for the welcome. And yes. with the wife its gonna be all abput timing

Mark, welcome to SMF!  There is a fabricator in the Modesto area.  Let me see if I can find their name.  You can then go to their website. 

Found it.  KAT BBQ Smokers in Modesto.  A lot closer than driving to Georgia!

Have fun shopping!

Ray

Thank you Ray , gonna check them out and i can handle that drive ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky