New Group

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Hey everyone, I wanted to start a new group for us Mini-WSM users. I PM'd Jeff back on the 4th about setting one up but haven't heard a peep from him. Is there a different method for creating groups that I am not seeing on the forum?

I know I'm gonna sound like a grumpy old ba***rd for saying this, but I really don't like the groups on here. I feel like they do nothing to enhance the experience for users. In fact I feel it's quite the opposite. The groups, at least the way they're structured now, tend to fragment members and steer folks away from group threads. In addition, some folks think it's some sort of exclusive VIP club and actually call others out for being in the group without meeting the "requirements".

Furthermore, I don't want to join each and every group that happens along, yet I might have something  to add to a group thread. If I don't join, I can't post. This is especially true for something like the mini wsm. Folks are curious about it and might wanna ask questions, yet might shy away from joining if that's how its set up.

A mini WSM forum topic would be great, but I for one really hope you rethink forming the group.

Last edited:
MD, I hear you on the exclusive only membership. I really would like a section just for mini-s like the other smokers have in the charcoal section. Some place to put all the mini information so that it is easier to find and get out there. All of which at this point seems to be moot as there has been no reply from Jeff on my PM.  I think that there is enough interest that maybe that would be an option under the charcoal smoker forum.

There's a topic for UDS builds etc... I'd think a mini build forum topic would fit right in. And I agree, having all the info right there in one place would be awesome.

Well I for one started the Wine Group to happily get everyone drunk on life, smoking, and of course a love of wine!

I keep asking EVERYONE to join, and EVERYONE to chime in, and don't believe in any exclusivity, and hope that people will find it warm and very wonderful and fun!

But what do I know? I eat bait after all. Smiles. 

But here's a very genuine and "well intended" wish, and for the groups to be amazing and for everyone!!!!!!

Cheers! - Leah (Think I'll go crawl back into my glass...)

Leah I applaud you're enthusiasm and the idea of a wine group is a good one. I meant no disrespect to you or the wine group, and in fact I did join that one. My gripe is with the structure of the groups in general. Groups dedicated to a certain type of equipment or a geographic region are exclusive by their very nature. If you don't have that smoker or live in that area, you're probably not going to join the group. It annoys me no end to see a topic I'd like to discuss, only to discover it's a "group topic" therefore closed to discussion by non group members. 9 times out of 10, I move on. The whole idea of a forum is to promote open and candid discussion on a series of topics of shared interest. If there's a topic in the UK smokers group I might wanna chime in on, I'm not very likely to join that group since I don't live in the UK.

I realize I'm being repetitive, but this has been on my mind for a while. Again, sorry for being Mr. Negative, but I like the forum, just hate the groups.

Oh, and I love the wine glass pic!! That's hilarious!

Last edited:
Well I'm delighted I made you smile with the glass!

And no worries on the Group sentiments.

That all makes sense. Just know (and may everyone know thus) that my WINE group is OPEN, and FUN, and for ALL!

So there!

Cheers!!!!!!! - Leah

Another issue with a group is when someone new to the forum joins a group, they ask a question and do not understand why it doesn't get answered.

I am against a private group also, but if they were to open a new group for us Mini-WSM users, I think is the wrong terminology Your all using.  I think he’s looking for Jeff to put another subsection of the forum with the forum sub title of Mini WSM users.  Doing that, like the Wine forum, we would not need to join to post, as we are already registered users of this forum.  I do not think it would hurt in any way, except consume a bit more server space.

Hello Case.  Jeff is THE man for starting Groups.  You might try bmudd14474.  I have to say MD has some good points.  I have not answered questions because I didn't want to join that particular group.  It also does result in fractures to the main forum.  Having said that I just started the U.K. Group.  We have certain issues that you folks just can't help with; like the fact you can not buy ( from the supermarket ) a packer trimmed brisket or even a chuck roast here.  Groups have their uses, but getting folks to participate in the Group is another matter.  They join but then forget to contribute and post the threads in the main forum.  Now if I have something I don't know about I post in the main forum because I want as many responses as possible.  I just asked about mesquite wood and would have been silly to post on the U.K. Group site.  I wish you luck with your quest.

Danny

And Case I apologize for having jacked your thread!!! I'll shut up now
No worries, discussion is good! Now maybe we can get a sub forum if that's what works the best. I just feel that there needs to one good spot to post all the Mini information as they are quite popular and I hate having to dig through the site trying to find what I'm looking for. I even have a hard time finding my own build posts!! I will resend a PM to Jeff, still no reply on the original PM. Must be away, noticed that the carousel hasn't really been updated weekly lately too.

I'm stuck in my glass!!!!???
Why fight it!! It looks pretty comfy in there. Only problem I can see it that it's empty.

No worries, discussion is good! Now maybe we can get a sub forum if that's what works the best. I just feel that there needs to one good spot to post all the Mini information as they are quite popular and I hate having to dig through the site trying to find what I'm looking for. I even have a hard time finding my own build posts!! I will resend a PM to Jeff, still no reply on the original PM. Must be away, noticed that the carousel hasn't really been updated weekly lately too.
I agree, when I was first building mine info was pretty scarce. there seems to be a lot of it now, but like you said it's hard to find.

There's a topic for UDS builds etc... I'd think a mini build forum topic would fit right in. And I agree, having all the info right there in one place would be awesome.
I'm new here, so don't know much about the whole group thing.  But I'd have liked to see this happen.  I cam in about a month ago and stumbled upon the mini WSM and started looking for more info about it.  It would have been a great resource to have all the mini WSM posts in one spot like the UDS build threads.

I'm new here, so don't know much about the whole group thing.  But I'd have liked to see this happen.  I cam in about a month ago and stumbled upon the mini WSM and started looking for more info about it.  It would have been a great resource to have all the mini WSM posts in one spot like the UDS build threads.
Its been done!!! Look under Smoker builds there is a new sub forum, Mini-WSM!

Its been done!!! Look under Smoker builds there is a new sub forum, Mini-WSM!
yahoo.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky