New GOSM - Question about mods

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by firebaugh, Jul 11, 2008.

1. firebaugh

firebaugh Fire Starter

My new gosm wide body is currently on a UPS truck to be delivered today. [​IMG] Although I'm excited to get it put together I was thinking about all of the different mods that people have come up with for these and I was wondering if there are any that you wish you had done before it was put together or before it had a 1/4" of goo coating the insides?

2. jts70

jts70 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

No mods necessary with mine. Some have had to change out their smoke boxes but I was lucky and got a nice cast one.

3. flatbroke

flatbroke Smoking Fanatic

Liked the side shelves that somebody installed on theirs, I could really use one or two for mine.

4. bwsmith_2000

bwsmith_2000 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

No mods on mine. I've been using it for almost three years and love it. I do, however, like the idea of shelves. I have a table on the patio beside the GOSM so I'm OK but I do think the shelves would be nice.

5. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

No mods necessary, season and get cookin!! [​IMG]

6. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Mine worked just fine without any mods! Enjoy your new rig!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

7. I use a cast fry pan for wood chips seems the chips do not burn up as fast and helps maintain heat.

8. krusher

krusher Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

all I did was chop a coffe can where it will fit under the water pan and use that as my chip box, the one it came with will do fine, but if you do this you will get a longer time between chip changes.

good luck,, your gonna love it

9. justsmoke2

justsmoke2 Smoking Fanatic

Had my Big Block for 3 years and haven't made any mods to it.

10. I like the idea of shelves too... and the casters... will do both one of these days... LOL

11. lcruzen

lcruzen Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Just added a needle valve for cooler smokes. Hard to get mine under 200o in the summer without it.

12. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

O.K., so there is 1 mod needed...[​IMG]
    Good tip!

13. dingle

dingle Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Where would one buy said needle valve?? Ran into this problem yesterday when making jerky. Had to rig the door open slightly to keep temps under 200*.

14. Got mine from local propane store. Took my regulator with me so I could get the proper fittings. Must be intalled after regulator. Cost me around $30 up here.

15. dingle

dingle Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Thanks Dysart I'm gonna look into it.

16. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Use a 9x9 metal cake pan fer the chips an chunks, stack mod, keeps the rain, snow an critters out, probe port- beats ruinin one them cords. Thermal mass, now this here is a tuffin, get yerself 4 bricks an put in the bottom! All these er great. Ya don't have ta do em, but they made mine more user friendly! Good luck an enjoy!

17. lcruzen

18. firebaugh

firebaugh Fire Starter

To those with needle valves - Do you keep the knob on the gosm on high and only adjust via the needle valve?

19. lcruzen

I dial down the GOSM first and then the needle valve to reduce heat further but I imagine it would the way you suggested just as well.