new from Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatguy

Original poster
Hi all, my name is Nik and I'm new to this forum. I just read that proper etiquette here is to come on this thread and introduce myself. Here goes.  I'm a husband and father of two girls (one a sophomore in college and the other a senior in HS) I'm a machinist by day and in my free time I like to tinker with chainsaws and drink beer (usually in that order). I also enjoy shooting trap every now and again. My wife is a wonderful cook and I very much enjoy being her sous chef in the kitchen, we work well together and get along even better. The grill(s) however, are my domain. In company such as yourselves I'm an amature but I sure do enjoy it  I've had a char-grill smoker for some time but it's only recently that I've tried to smoke larger cuts of meat. I've succesfully done turkeys,ribs, and sides of salmon  To a lesser degree briskets and loins. Yesterday was my first "Holy Crap, I didn;t think I could smoke anything this well" moment. I followed the basic pulled pork sticky. now I want to go a revisit the loin and the briskets. The baffles don't open on my firebox so I have to compensate by opening and closing the ash drawer. I have a very tough time maitaining consistent temps. If any one can point me in the direction of some threads with temp tips, I'd appreciate it very much!

Welcome and enjoy the forum.  There is a pretty good size Ohio contingent here. Will be waiting for your Q VIEW!

Welcome. Q-View are pics of your wonderful smoked meats posted here so everyone can enjoy. Post up a pic of your smoker up and someone will be along to help you out on your problem. Just one big happy family here. Chainsaws... Bearcarver will be jumping in here.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to the SMF glad you joined us. We love lots of that Qview so take tons of pictures of your smokes and post them for all of us drool over. Some people will think you are wierd at first for taking pictures of all your steps and your food but once they taste the BBQ you are putting out they will get over it really quick. This is a great place to learn and meet lots of really nice people. If you have questions there is always someone around that can lend a helping hand.

From one Cincy local to another, Welcome to SMF! These guys (& gals) are full of knowledge and eager to help.

Welcome.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome!  I'm a new member myself but I can tell you that there is a ton of info here.  If you can't find an answer in the previous forums, just post a question and someone will give you an answer.  God Bless.

MM

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Nik to SMF. you'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the SMF. It's all good my friend.

I've read a few times about "banking firewood" One of the things that I find most challenging about smoking is keeping a consitent temperature and the fact that I must tend to the fire constantly.  seems like I'm always adding more wood or messing with the firebox and the chimney.  Is it really possible to load that puppy up and let it burn on its own for hours on end? I mean I understand you need oxygen and fuel for fire and limiting one will result in no/slow burn.  I tried using the search function but couldn't come up with any threads that explain to a newbie how to effectivly do this. A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky