New Fish Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
IMG_0423[1].jpg

I saw the video of that cheater, he was lucky to get out alive. RAY
Go to YouTube and search for "fishing tournament cheating", there are a bunch of videos about the cheating incident with some having additional information. Those guys won over $300,000 last year and over $3,000,000 overall. As a fisherman and a tournament fisherman, it really makes me mad...

Reactions: 912smoker
Go to YouTube and search for "fishing tournament cheating", there are a bunch of videos about the cheating incident with some having additional information. Those guys won over $300,000 last year and over $3,000,000 overall. As a fisherman and a tournament fisherman, it really makes me mad...

Bear Jr told me, "The funny part is those idiots would have won that one, without the cheating."

Bear

The sad part is these fisherman regularly partake in the area tournaments, and it sounds like they have been suspected of cheating in the past.

The funny part is, they needed to beat 16.89 total pounds to claim "Team of the Year" honors and $30,000 in various prizes.
Their catch’s weight: 33.91 pounds.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
We had a striper tourney out of a local bar and this dude Bucky would win it every year with 50+ lb fish year in and out. The last time he entered he brought in a monster,only problem it was still partially frozen. Guy was a rod and reel comm who would keep one big one from the comm season to enter in the tourney.

And earlier this year he was sentenced to 6 months probation and 50k for poaching in Montana.

Last edited:
If you really want to read about a cheater, read this.

Reactions: zwiller
If you really want to read about a cheater, read this.

Mike Long is a name that makes me want to puke. I too, was a big fan back in the early 2000's when I was just a small-time bass fisherman and was fascinated by all of these big bass this guy was "catching"...

Reactions: forktender
Mike Long is a name that makes me want to puke. I too, was a big fan back in the early 2000's when I was just a small-time bass fisherman and was fascinated by all of these big bass this guy was "catching"...
I fished against the guy many times, several times in close proximity while bed fishing or ripping rock piles.
He had no skills that impressed me, he couldn't pitch or flip to save his ass, and his cranking skilled were just above full retard, hell he couldn't cast into the wind without back lashing 4 out of 5 casts in a row. I knew the guy was a fraud years before he got caught. I fished West Coast BASS, Won Bass and The Redman Bass trail for over 28 years, never a great fisherman but could hold my own against most of the field. I would normally place in the top 10 to 12 at Clear Lake, Berryessa, Orville, Shasta, and the Delta.

Hard to believe how viral this went. All went down an hour from me. I do not follow tourney action at all but the rumors were rampant.

VERY interesting read forktender forktender

Just a follow-up to the fishing tournament cheating story, Jacob Runyan and Chase Cominsky were "indicted in Cleveland on felony charges of cheating, attempted grand theft and possessing criminal tools and misdemeanor charges of unlawfully owning wild animals."

The story is on ESPN...

• Love
No doubt they should be punished but those charges seem excessive and politicized to me. There are guys on an Ohio fishing forum talking finding a big tree and rope...

No doubt they should be punished but those charges seem excessive and politicized to me. There are guys on an Ohio fishing forum talking finding a big tree and rope...
Don't seem excessive to me. Don't understand how it's politicized.
Their hunting and fishing license should be banned for life and given a choice of. Either a 3,000,000 fine or 30 years in jail each.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky