New farm adventure!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
We have new milk and beef makers!
Over the weekend we happened into a jersey cow and her heifer calf.
PXL_20230306_184047756~2.jpg

We are going to start milking her this year, but her supply is pretty low since she wasn't being milked. In a few months the plan is to breed her to a beef breed, and next year she will be our primary milk source and we will sell all but our favorite goats.

Once we know she is a proven calver, I'd like to try crossing her with a waygu and hope for some WELL marbled steers. 🤤

Limber up those fingers for the waygu. That's a whole lot of body to massage. Good looking cows.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Thanks all. We are real excited! We are pretty sure she had never been milked (for more than a week) but will let us walk right up and stay milking her.
Hope your plans work out as planned.

Warren
They won't, lol. But that's okay. If owning animals wasn't an adventure, I wouldn't do it.

Limber up those fingers for the waygu. That's a whole lot of body to massage. Good looking cows.

Chris

Thanks! I've been reading about the different waygu varieties. The mythic Kobe are the ones legend has it drink beer and get massaged. They also are sissies that don't do well on outside of confinement and rich diet.
There are others, like red waygu, that are raised in pasture and are hardier. Less marbled than Kobe, but still much more than American breeds.
But for now, we will enjoy her milk and try to tame the firecracker calf.

Last edited:
Congratulations hope it goes fairly smooth for you

If the calf was nursing, she was being milked. Should have been bred back already by the size of that calf.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice adventure. Great for kids to get involved when they are young....teach the about animals. Keep us updates on how the waygu cross turns out...
Will do. We have a friend that has a beef breed that calves small, so we are going to bed get to their bill first. Probably in about 2 months.

Our 7 year old is convinced she is ready to halter break the calf, lol.

Reactions: indaswamp
It won't be ready for 3 weeks, but finished brining and Guido's cheese yesterday.
1,75 lbs.
PXL_20230327_023304416.jpg

Thanks for the recipe LoydB LoydB . I did find it in my book, but that one was written for veg rennet.

Reactions: JLeonard
Very cool glad to see it's working out for you hopefully you can get her bred and have another and get more milk from her. What you going to do with the calf when it comes?

Very cool glad to see it's working out for you hopefully you can get her bred and have another and get more milk from her. What you going to do with the calf when it comes?
Thanks! Yeah, we are staying to track great cycles now. Hey current calf we call "Maybe" short for Maybelle. Because maybe we will do this, maybe we will do that, lol.
But future calf s will be a beef breed cross, kept nursing until 10 months then raised at a friend's house until about 2 y.o. then butchered. That's the plan anyways...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky