New cook from Aussie.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petea

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Vic., Australia,
G'day fellas,

What a great forum and helpful lot of blokes, a mate of mine told me about the site and its a beauty !!!!

My hobbies are stalking Sambar deer and making as many different things from the venison that I can.

A local supermarket (Aldi) sells a gas fired smoker once a year and we've had ours 3 months now. It cooks up a nice chook (chicken), turkey wings, and venison roast. Ihave added a little smoke for the last 15 minutes or so and it comes out super moist with a nice hint of smoke. I'll try pickling some of the meats soon.

The last few years have seen some hot cooked ( to 68C) venison salamis and the avatar is a corned silverside of sambar cooked in the top of our BBQ pre smoker days. The missus is happy that her new kitchen oven will not have a dozen salamis cooking away in it for five hours now that the smoker has arrived.

I don't see the amount of seasonings that you have in the U.S. on our shelves, but see plenty of recipes to make them up on here. The chicken wings on the front page today looked salubrious and I'll have a go at making something similiar, thanks for the idea.

Also made some dry cure venison salamis last year, came up OK, but room for improvement.

regards to everyone,

Peter

Last edited:
welcome1.gif
 to SMF Peter.  This site is an absolute gold mine of information on whatever aspect of smoking/grilling you can think of.  And don't be shy to ask questions if you can't find what you're looking for on here.  A common saying on here is....  "The only silly question is the one not asked".

cheers

Pete

Welcome to SMF PetA from down under... were glad to have you aboard ......
icon14.gif

Joe

Last edited:
This is a good place to learn a lot in a short space of time. Lot of really specialized skills & knowledge.I have some friends who just settled in Mansfield after 6 years in tropics is that somewhere near you. Mistygully.com.au is also somewhere down there lot of smoking stuff from Masterbuilts to pellets to cure if you havent discovered them already.

Sorry Aussie Pete, almost stealing your online moniker, had I seen it I wouldn't have been so close to yours.

Boykjo, nice list of gear there, be handy having that when you turn out a big run of tucker, and...glad to be here, thanks.

Peter

Moikel, saw the King Parrot and thought who in the US would have one of them, then saw you are from NSW. Bit of Aussie interest here thats for sure. Mansfield is couple of hundred kilometres away. I have bought some gear from Misty Gully and have an account their, its been good stuff.

Last edited:
Hello PeteA and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - glad to have you on board with us 

Looking forward to seeing some qview from you 

Hi ya PeteA and welcome.  Any cooking or smoking question you have,, there is plenty of experience here. As you have noticed,, even in your area :)  Dont hesitate to ask,, even us new smokers have opinions and will offer advice.  As long as we get it in before JJ smacks us :)  Happy smoking to ya.

welcome1.gif
 to SMF . You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky