New Chickens needing a good rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vetmp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Newburgh (Town), New York
Hey all,

I'm going to be spatchcocking 2 chickens this afternoon and I don't plan on brining them because I don't have the fridge space to keep them cool but, I want to cook them with a new rub that I haven't used before. I have a rub that I have been using for chickens but it is a little heavy on the sage and the wife 
wife.gif
 isn't too keen on the taste and I want to get away from the same old same old flavor profile. I've taken a look in some of the previous forum postings, some are 2+ years old and, I can't seem to find anything that strikes me. Does anyone have something a little more recent that they can recommend that I can make for a rub. I like to make my own rubs and stay away from commercial rubs unless I am grilling. 

Also, once I do get the bone out and flatten the birds, what's the best way to get the rub under the skin? I don't want to take it completely off and then try to put it back in place but, there has to be a way that I'm not trying.

Thanks all. Hope to hear some great ideas and any recommendations that y'all have...
usa.gif

You can always start with something like Montreal Chicken seasoning and add stuff to it to produce you own flavor profile...   I have done that many times... adjusting continually until it suits what I like... 

Dave

Be real careful in rubbing under the skin...will most likely come off. You can attach it with toothpicks. A little bit of Butter in the Rub will increase the bropwning some; grilling will crisp the skin .

Have fun and as always. . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky