New Catfish Pictures (From Virginia)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you ever hook a channel in that 10lb range - man is it a fight. Pound for pound they fight twice as hard as a flat and 50x harder than a blue.
Spot on man, especially a river Channel cat. I used to catfish the Potomac just downstream from Great Falls, VA. Mean Channels in that section!

Here's one from the very next day----Weighed in at 55 pounds:

0.jpeg

Great catches! So what kind of boat are you guys running? My guess would be North River or maybe hewes, but it could be any of almost a dozen that make that all welded style.

Great catches! So what kind of boat are you guys running? My guess would be North River or maybe hewes, but it could be any of almost a dozen that make that all welded style.

Bear Jr has a few boats, but when he gets into serious fishing he uses his aluminum Jon boat. It’s a Lowe 1760 Roughneck with a forward center console and a jet tunnel running an Evinrude E-Tec 90/65 Jet. He loves that thing!!
The one they were on in these Pics was another. guy's boat.

Bear

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Great looking fish!! Great your son has a good worker and fishing buddy!
Thank You tbern!!
Yup---It worked out perfectly. Bear Jr is teaching him all kinds of woodworking, and how to run Tower Jobs, and since Brian had been laid off from a programming job, he was able to teach Bear Jr how to program his new "CNC Router."

Bear
NICE....watch you fingers....I mean hands... Them is some good size fish!
LOL---Yup---Big Mouths on these critters!!

Bear

Oh yeah, Flatheads, Yellow Cats, the meat is excellent, IMHO! Cut them into 1" thick steaks to take the texture and flavor to another level.

Rick
Thank You!
That's what I've been hearing, but still haven't got to eat any Flatties.

Bear
NICE!

Those are some picture worthy and for sure bragging rights catfish.

Those big boys (or girls) are all actually blues. Sometimes it can be hard to tell based on color alone, especially with smaller blues and bigger channels, but the fins don't lie. A flathead will have a much smaller fin (no matter how big the fish it will only have about 15 or so spiney fin) on the bottom right in front of the tail, and the tail will be almost square rather than forked. The blue will have upwards of 30 spiney spikesIf he kept anything for meat, the taste won't be anything like a flathead. Blue is the least tasty of the 3. It is more......fishy - and not fishy in a good way.

This is a good pic to help with the differences. Middle is a channel cat and they rarely get above 10 lbs. If you ever hook a channel in that 10lb range - man is it a fight. Pound for pound they fight twice as hard as a flat and 50x harder than a blue.

View attachment 647663

Here is a good pic to show how deceiving looks can be. If I just took a quick glance at the below I would have said that it's a blue and a flat. The tail is a quick giveaway. I think they are probably both channels, though I can't see the fin on the top one. Bottom is for sure a channel, see the forked tail and the fin has about 30 spines.

Thank You Jack!!
I'm learning more about these big ones, now that I got your Info, and since Bear Jr got home from catching these, he told me most of what you said too. I never saw any of these big ones in my days. All we ever caught in them days were Channels up to about 8 pounds & Bullheads up to 16" long.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: Cody_Mack
Thank You Jack!!
I'm learning more about these big ones, now that I got your Info, and since Bear Jr got home from catching these, he told me most of what you said too. I never saw any of these big ones in my days. All we ever caught in them days were Channels up to about 8 pounds & Bullheads up to 16" long.

Bear
You are very welcome. A lot of folks would disagree with me on keeping a big flathead but I will do it once in a while. You get a lot of meat off of a 30-40 lb fish and it's soooo good. The belly meat on a big one cannot be beat. Blues have really been spreading over the last 40 years. From what I understand, they aren't native to any of the eastern waters and weren't introduced widespread until the 70's and 80's. If only they tasted better...... they are easy to catch and there are so many of them.

My suggestion is that he go to live bait if he already isn't (bream or perch 4-6 inches long of any kind will work, bluegills are my favorite). He will still catch blues, maybe not as many, but he's likely to hook a few flats too.

WOW! Those are huge and impressive! Thanks for sharing John.
Thanks Mike!!
Yes, they impress Me too!

Bear
Strong work! They catch some big blues up there, but the heavies seem to get caught in the winter. 70 lb and up blues are not rare.
Thanks Mr W !!

Bear
Good day on the James!

Glad he got to experience the James and did well at that. The night fishing is normally better, but as seen here you can pull 40-60 pounders all day. The big boys prowl at night...
Thank You Moto!!
We always did better at night with Channels & Bullheads----And after a big "Downpour".

Bear

So cool to see, great post! :D

Yup---Those are neat fish, for such an ugly fish!! LOL

Bear

Awesome fish Bear! Looks like an untouched fishery...kinda like the Mouth of the Misissippi river for catfishing. Nobody does it and there are some HUGE fish down there.
Thank You Inda!!
No telling what could be in that Mississippi River!!

Bear

New Catfish Pictures (From Virginia)

So Bear Jr and his trusty Helper “Brian” left yesterday morning at 4:30 AM, headed Southwest to the James River, in Virginia.
They got there at about 11 AM and fished all day. Then they texted some pics to us. Then they fished some more this morning.
Then they texted some more Pics, before they left down there.
They aren’t home yet, so what you see is all I got.
BTW: Brian is a nice little guy who Bear Jr met through shooting pool.
Bear Jr is the Captain of a team that Brian joined up with. Some time after that, Bear Jr. hired Brian part-time in his new Wood Shop, inside his Tower Barn. Bear Jr has been teaching Brian everything he knows about Cabinetmaking & Carpentry. Then since Bear’s Director of Operations quit his Tower Corporation, & moved on to a cable TV place, he gave Brian that job, and has been training him on all of the things that job includes.
Brian loves fishing, so whenever Bethany doesn’t go along, Brian does. And when Brian goes, they get into more serious fishing.

Enjoy,

Bear

On Edit !!: MY MISTAKE !! These were all "Blue Catfish"---Not Flatheads. Now that Bear Jr came home, he straightened me out. I have never seen any catfish that big. We never caught Flatheads or Blur Catfish in my Day.

Bear

Another New EDIT : Below is a picture of the last one Bear Jr caught, before they left to come home. It is a 55 pound Blue Catfish.

Bear

Bear Jr with his First Flathead of the Day, Yesterday:
View attachment 647642

Brian with his first Flathead of the Day, at just under 50 pounds:
View attachment 647646

Bear Jr Again:
View attachment 647647

Brian Again:
View attachment 647648
That bad boy is a hunk...I mean the fish, you understand. Just one of them would overfill my very small freezer.

Last edited:
Good day on the James!

Glad he got to experience the James and did well at that. The night fishing is normally better, but as seen here you can pull 40-60 pounders all day. The big boys prowl at night...
Thanks!!
That's exactly what I figured!

Bear

WOW!! That is simply awesome
Thank You Jeff!!

Bear

Reactions: jcam222
You are very welcome. A lot of folks would disagree with me on keeping a big flathead but I will do it once in a while. You get a lot of meat off of a 30-40 lb fish and it's soooo good. The belly meat on a big one cannot be beat. Blues have really been spreading over the last 40 years. From what I understand, they aren't native to any of the eastern waters and weren't introduced widespread until the 70's and 80's. If only they tasted better...... they are easy to catch and there are so many of them.

My suggestion is that he go to live bait if he already isn't (bream or perch 4-6 inches long of any kind will work, bluegills are my favorite). He will still catch blues, maybe not as many, but he's likely to hook a few flats too.

Yup---He uses Bluegills up to about 7" or 8", and when he gets them, he likes Young Eels about 10" 12" long too.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky