New Build Smoker Have Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

barn stormer

Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Far East Central Kansas
I have access to a 28" Dia x 52" Long piece of pipe. The wall thickness is 1/2".

My question is. Is this too large or to thick for a smoker? Plan to build a reverse flow.

Will have a square fire box. Any help will be geatly appreciated.

hi barn stormer,i recently finished one,that started out as a 26" pipe 8ft long,i used 2 ft for my firebox,and it was 3/8 thick wall,turned out great,i don't think u will have any problems,just make sure u size everything to the calculator specs,

You are going to need a crane to move it. It would be to thick for me, the length and diameter are great.  Get some more input from other pit builders out there and see that they think. We try to stay with 1/4" seems to work well for us. We did do a 3/8" works good just heavy (We had the pipe laying around) and hated to see a potential smoker go to waste.

Gary

Gonna be heavy... I have seen 1/2'' around town, .. The guy I talked to said it was more work, but he loves how it holds heat also said it was the most even cooker he has had, I don't know what he compares it to but it did look like he built it rite...his was RF with a 1/4'' plate with a 1/2'' piece added to the FB where it feeds the CC, it came off a cut he made to make it a little shorter, hope that makes sense to ya but best way I know to describe it...

How much do you think it weighs?

Thanks Guys,

I plan to mount this on a trailer, so hope the wieght is not to much of a problem.

I have an old metal Montgomery Wards single wheel trailer that is 4' x 4'. I would

like to use this. I have mounted Jacks to all 4 corners to stabilize it.

What do you think? Will this work or should I just go with a regular trailer?

That's going to be about 1,000 Lbs. for the smoker. The trailer has had 1 ton max on it

Was almost more than could haul.  May have to rethink trailer. Would like to be

able to bring wood and other supplies with it. Thanks for the info. Will consider what else

I could do. Maybe just build as a back yard model. Any other suggestions?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky