New Build questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbking

Original poster
Sep 11, 2017
Hi guys/girls,

I'm just starting a new smoker build, I'm using a proofing cabinet similar to this one as a base

I'm hoping its perfect for my needs as i needed something bigger than my masterbuilt, also, this will hold temps up to 180F and maintain humidity where I'd like. I'll be generating smoke with an Amazen Tube smoker 12" (just placing it in bottom once lit) . I'll only be using this smoker for snack sticks, jerky, kielbasa,etc. My questions are as follows:

1) Insulation (i'd like to insulate this for cold days. I am thinking of wrapping it in Rockwool Comfortboard 80 and using plywood to sheet it in. Any feedback or better suggestions?
2) Venting - was thinking a simple 4" diameter piece of Pipe at top with damper, where do I place it? Center? Also, do I need any venting at bottom to allow cool air in?

Obviously I want to avoid any hotspots wherever possible, so any tips you all have would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Not sure where the heating element is, I assume bottom. Be sure to place a deflector at the bottom
Pan or sheet with holes, it will help with evening the heat and protect your smoke tube from drips. You may want to separate the smoke tube from the heat. I use the pellet tray and it tends to burn, catch flame when directly on the heat. (Mailbox mod??).
Cold vent, yes you need combustion air for the tube. Place the input on opposite side of out stack. This will help with air flow.
Make the stack 1.5 to 3X larger than the input. Hot air has more volume tjan than cold.
RG

Not sure where the heating element is, I assume bottom. Be sure to place a deflector at the bottom
Pan or sheet with holes, it will help with evening the heat and protect your smoke tube from drips. You may want to separate the smoke tube from the heat. I use the pellet tray and it tends to burn, catch flame when directly on the heat. (Mailbox mod??).
Cold vent, yes you need combustion air for the tube. Place the input on opposite side of out stack. This will help with air flow.
Make the stack 1.5 to 3X larger than the input. Hot air has more volume tjan than cold.
RG
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

Hey Newb, Do a search for proofer and you'll get a number of threads that will help ya out.

Reactions: newbking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky