New Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have never seen a brisket hung.I am born raised texas and that,albeit practical, is wrong on so many levels.lol .my advice would be to buy two smaller ones.that fat has to render down horizontally.but if it flew ....god bless .

My guests just finished raving that it was as good as every brisket I ever made. I prefer the large briskets so I hung this one. It only hangs for a about 4 hours while smoking and then I wrap it and move to a gas grill anyway.

The DigiQ worked beautufully. Becuase of the the constant temp, I'm seeing that I don't need to cook at as high a temp as before. This brisket reached 150 degrees internal in 4 hours cooking at a very constant 225 degrees.

Just purchased a Brinkmann Verticle Trailmaster Smoker. I've got it all sealed up thanks to BBQ Gaskets. My PitmasterIQ 120 is on the way. Can't wait to build my charcoal basket and do my first cook on it. I think i'm going to give a brisket a try, then later this month I'm going to attempt to do a couple of pork butts for a family reunion. Thank you all for this thread. I've enjoyed reading about this smoker and getting some really good tips. Has anyone tried the PitmasterIQ? It looks simple and costs less than a BBQ Guru. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Congrats on your new smoker, and welcome to the forum.  You should stop by at Roll Call and introduce yourself, to get the official SMF welcome.

Jumping right in, feet first with a brisket, eh?  That's awesome, can't wait to see the pictures!  Sorry, can't help you with the PitmasterIQ, but we all would sure appreciate it if you could let us know how it is to get hooked up, and how it works for you.

Welcome aboard!

Reactions: mrshep70
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   OOOOOk  guy's and/or gal's ...... What you all think ....The.... IQ120 BBQ Temperature Regulator Kit with Standard Pit Adapter or BBQ Guru PartyQ Digital Controller?????? The BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 Digital Controller cost to much for me right now........ I like the Guru PartyQ Digital Controller because of the use  batteries and more mobile.  But I also like the IQ120   power and design....But you must use 110 power for it. I stay in Houston Texas and we get Hurricanes here ...That means we lose power... While smoking some meat I would like to be able to use the Controller. Or can I get some kind of battery pack that I can plug the BBQ Guru PartyQ Digital Controller into?????? Please give me you all opinions...... I'm looking to order one in the next couple days.... Thanks for the help in advance. View media item 328360

I recently purchased a Brinkmann vertical trailmaster. I've don't the gasket modifications including the extra door latches. I've also added the IQ blower to the firebox. When I did my initial burnout the thermostat barely reached 125 degrees. Is there some trick I'm missing

.. IQ120 BBQ Temperature Regulator Kit with Standard Pit Adapter or BBQ Guru PartyQ Digital Controller?????

For 1...... please do the gasket modifications including the extra door latches!!!!!!!! It will  help the IQ blower for sure!!!! Which one did you you get???? Model#... Im looking 2 get 1 in a day or so!!!!

Gasket modifications were done and it's the IQ120 (that works well). I'm using hard mesquite coal and had my fire in the bottom of the fire box. There doesn't appear to be any heat loss and I'm getting both smoke and some heat out the top of the stack. I did find some smoke loss both at the top and bottom of the smoking chamber where the factory had welded the body and round ends together. Intend to fix those with sealer from BBQ Gaskets. I'm also having a problem with the factory latch 

closing. Don't know why I've reset it a number of times and it doesn't seem to want to completely latch however the top and bottom latches are working great. I'm going to fire it up again today but build it closer towards the smoking chamber (it was in the center yesterday) and see if that makes a difference. I switched from briquettes to hard charcoal about 2-3 years ago should I combine the two or switch back ( really don't want to)?

Hi Steve

I think you said that you built the fire in the bottom of the firebox?  You need to make sure you're getting air in UNDER the charcoal, so either build the fire on top of the coal grate that came with the unit or go get some expanded steel and make a charcoal basket.

Excellent thank you I'll let you know how it works out. I did have the coals on the bottom grate but I guess that wasn't enough I'll put them on the top ones this time it. That doesn't leave much room between the grate and the fire box door.

So Dan do this mean I can hook it up to some type of battery pack and run it????? Please tell me what you mean by "can be hooked up to a DC power source"  ..... If so all of them should be able to do that also right??? Looking to order one of them this week.

Leelee, both Pitmaster IQ models have car adapters available. Also, go to their website and the guy show you how to make a battery pack for it using D cell batteries and parts from Radio Shack. I think you click on the projects link on the site. It looked really cool. You might be interested in the waterproof box they built for them too. That is why he made the battery array. Check it out and let us know.

Smoking Steve, I made a charcoal basket for mine this week, and I am going to try it this weekend. Google "charcoal basket no weld" and check out the video on how to make one. Definitely worth it. A piece of 24" x 24" expanded metal from Home Depot built a nice 12" x 12" x 6" basket that just fits in my SFB. This will be my first attempt at the minion method of charcoal layout. I'm going to use bricks to lay it out. I've heard many good things about my Pitmaster IQ 120. I'm keeping my finger crossed that it all goes well. People are counting on brisket and ribs. I will try to remember to take pics and post them next week. By the way, the top racks are for grilling, not for charcoal. The heat will probably burn off the coating on those racks, so I would try to avoid that.

Last edited:
Ok Mrshep70 thank you I will check the site out to day!!!!!! Also heard a lot of good things about the IQ 120 ..... I think that will be the 1 I order tomorrow...... Also Let us know how long of a burn you get out of your basket????? I made one  12"w x 12"w x 10"h....... I only have gotten about 4 hour burn out of it before reloading!!!!!! And if I may ask what kind and name brand of charcoal are you all using????? When I put my wood on top of the coals... The wood only smokes for about 15 minutes then just burns with fire and no smoke.... Why is that?  Thanks for everybody's help .... I really like this Thread .
sausage.gif

Gasket modifications were done and it's the IQ120 (that works well). I'm using hard mesquite coal and had my fire in the bottom of the fire box. There doesn't appear to be any heat loss and I'm getting both smoke and some heat out the top of the stack. I did find some smoke loss both at the top and bottom of the smoking chamber where the factory had welded the body and round ends together. Intend to fix those with sealer from BBQ Gaskets. I'm also having a problem with the factory latch

closing. Don't know why I've reset it a number of times and it doesn't seem to want to completely latch however the top and bottom latches are working great. I'm going to fire it up again today but build it closer towards the smoking chamber (it was in the center yesterday) and see if that makes a difference. I switched from briquettes to hard charcoal about 2-3 years ago should I combine the two or switch back ( really don't want to)?
Do you have your smoker on a piece of plywood?

I want to get something for under my smoker.  My smoker's FB has a side door so I have to pull it out to load it with wood or coals.  The only thing I rdon't like about my smoker (Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker).    I thought plywood might not be the best solution since when I load it hot ambers fall on he floor below.

Do you think it will be a problem?

Leelee, here is the link. It is actually under support and custom modifications. http://pitmasteriq.com/custom-modifications. I love the waterproof box idea too.

As far as burn time, I keep seeing something called "the minion method". If you just dump a lit chimney of coals in the box it will burn out sooner. Here is a video I found that describes it.   

My plan is to use a couple of bricks to make the "snake" effect and light the first few coals with a paraffin wax charcoal starter like this: 
I hope my idea works. I will also place foil wrapped, water soaked, hickory and apple wood chips along the way. I will poke holes in the foil to allow the smoke magic to happen. Any other suggestions from the group would be greatly appreciated as well. After all, I am the "newbie". 
icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Shep70 .... I just ordered the IQ120 last night.... I seen the link and I will be making a box this weekend.... I also will make the battery box for it.... But last night I did go to Wal-Mart and pick up the Schumacher Electric 6-in-1 Jump Starter........ I can use it for the battery power as long as it's not raining or I may just make a cover for it also!!!!  And yes I use  "the minion method"       I still only get about 4 hour's out of it ....... I don't know.... I have seen people talking about they get 6 to 8 hour's!!!!!! How????? Maybe they box is bigger!!! Maybe I should add another Tee plate??? What coals are you all using???

Tractor Supply has these on clearance sale  for $199.00. I am very tempted to grab one but I think my wife will really lose it if I bring home another smoker. Lol.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky