• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New Boston Butts Ideas....

theelballew

Smoke Blower
Joined May 27, 2014
I just picked up two Boston Butts ($1.29/lbs @ Bi-lo) just to have on hand in case I want to do one any time soon.

I was wanting to try something new and wanted to pick the brain trust for a unique idea.  Please help me out.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Try injecting one with Creole butter.

I just did one & boy was it good!

Al

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009

Did you use the normal rub? 
Yes use your favorite pork rub, & inject with the Creole butter.

I used the whole 16 oz jar & injected it every inch or so.

Al

theelballew

Smoke Blower
Joined May 27, 2014
Excellent.  I will try that......maybe mix up a batch of my jambalaya to go along with it as a side.

jirod

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 28, 2013
Pulled "ham".  Cure it like you would a ham (pop's method is always delicious), then smoke it like pulled pork.  Love that stuff.  Might have to do one now myself.

joe black

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2015
For a really simple change, take it off at 185* and slice it about 1/2-3/4" and make an au jus. It's a wonderful meal. Somewhat like a pork prime rib.

theelballew

Smoke Blower
Joined May 27, 2014
I can't do Indian food.....I was in Bangalore for about 3 months back in 2013.....I got extremely sick and ever since then even the smell of Indian makes me queezy.

theelballew

Smoke Blower
Joined May 27, 2014

Yes use your favorite pork rub, & inject with the Creole butter.

I used the whole 16 oz jar & injected it every inch or so.

Al
Would you brine your butt prior to rubbing down and injecting?  Would that be overkill to do all three?

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009

Would you brine your butt prior to rubbing down and injecting?  Would that be overkill to do all three?
No it wouldn't be overkill.

I like to brine it for a couple of days, then rub & inject it & let it sit overnight.

Al

schlotz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
I usually brine mine for 15 hrs +/- in a large zip lock with 2 quarts water, 1 cup pickling salt, 8 oz dark molasses.  Remove, pat dry, rub then smoke.

The brine IMO eliminates the need for injecting.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.