NEW BATCH OF CAPPICOLLA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert H

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
HI ALL
Just started three coppa's following the trial run of Lonza in my first curing chamber. Pretty standard recipe, ground juniper berries, some hot pepper powder, thyme, black pepper, garlic and bay leaves and 1.5% salt and cure#2 per weight. They are all around 4 and a quarter lbs. wrapped in collagen and coated with mold 600. Will do a review when they hit 35%. Well, I might not be able to resist at 30%, so might be earlier.
20210805_184952.jpg
20210728_161021.jpg

Looks good.
1.5% salt is very low for a long haul cure and dry. It’s not very safe and it extends the drying time. The more salt, the faster it will dry. Please don’t go below 2% salt in the future. Salt plays a key role in binding water so bad bacteria can’t use it. Salt is a safety hurdle, one of many used in Charcuterie. also salt helps the meat dry or lower the AW (available water) which is yet another safety hurdle. 2% is minimum.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Thanks for the reply and likes.. When I started doing any cured, I started at 3% and slowly started reducing from there. I know what you are saying makes perfect sense, but I have had no troubles at 1.5%. I think for a salami, I would go higher.

Last edited:
Yep, 3% salt is the "food safe" minimum for salt... 2.75 kosher and 0.25% salt from the cure#2.... Those numbers are minimum for food safe meat....

The yellow or greenish spot is the reflection of my dehumidifier light.

Will do! I dont anticipate any problems except trying not to eat too much.

Hi all
So, I just hit 30% weight loss yesterday and well, today I just had to opern on of the three coppa's. I was not dissapointed although i am going to let the other two go to 40% or more. All three had a very nice coating of white mold and after peeling the collagen off, there was almost no green mold underneath. A quick wash of cold water and then a scrub of white vinegar was all it needed. A few people commented on my decision of going with 1.5% salt, and while I appreciate the concern, I knew it would not be a problem as I had done before. The colour is beautiful, and the taste is out of this world even though I wish it was a bit hotter. I will try using some hot red pepper paste next time. Of course I had to slice some up and put on some bread and a glass of vino.
20210923_180106.jpg
20210923_174318.jpg
20210923_174533.jpg
20210923_175646.jpg

Reactions: SCBBQ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky