Did I use too much of the Prague #1 Pink Powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Coltrix

Original poster
Dec 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

It’s my first try ever at dry curing meat, I’m doing this recipe from "Charcuterie The craft of salting, smoking & curing" a Pancetta

But I’m wondering if I used too much of the "Hoosier Hill Farm Prague no.1 Pink Powder" on the package it say to use 1 teaspoon for 5 pounds, but the recipe ask for 1 teaspoon for one 5 pound slab of pork belly!

Here is the recipe:
One 5 pound slab pork belly, skin removed
(But I use myself a 7 pound pork belly and use the same dry cure from the recipe)

The dry cure:
4 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoon pink salt
¼ cup kosher salt
2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoon juniper berries
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 or 5 springs fresh thyme

So I follow the recipe now my pork belly is in the fridge for another 3 days and after I’ll hang it in my curing chamber that I made out of a mini fridge.

But after looking at different post and comments on the web I realized that I might have added too much of the pink salt, and looking at the instruction on the package I see the 1 teaspoon for 5 pound of meat. So is this too much and I should through it a way and start over, or would it be fine?

Thank you.

You are fine... That amount of cure#1 is perfectly "in line" with dry curing... 625 Ppm being the maximum allowed.. Nitrite dissipates over time...
I'm somewhat surprised the method didn't call for multiple additions of nitrite over several days...

Cure ingoing maximums.png

Reactions: SonnyE
Great thank you, for your reply really appreciated... i was a little stress!! not sure if should keep it or do a new one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky