New backyard toy...help me decide.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
So I recently did some side work that allows me to invest some of the dividend into a new yard toy.

My budget is around 500 but because I don’t have an outlet in my yard pellets are out.

I’m down to the Akorn vs PBC. Everyday I change my mind.

Anyone use these care to chime in. Or am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Since you already have a kettle if I were in your shoes I would probably go with the PBC. However, if you look around you might be able to kinda get both. If you went with the OKJ Bronco barrel you could probably get one at the Walmart in Parkesburg for $184.

https://brickseek.com/p/oklahoma-joe-s-bronco-drum-smoker/6732282#in-store-offers

Then if you want the Akorn you might go to the Walmart in Glenolden and pick that up for $199.

https://brickseek.com/p/char-griller-akorn-kamado-charcoal-kooker/356015#in-store-offers

Of course Brickseek is not 100% accurate, but there is a good chance you'd be able to get a barrel and a kamado for less than $500.

If meat and beer aren't an option both of your other choices there are good cookers. You get more versatility out of the kamado type cooker but the PBC's are pretty cool. I say get one on clearance or maybe a slightly used BGE or KJ off of craigslist and then spend the rest on meat and beer!

You have several nice smokers. Not sure how much extra benefit you'd get from another slightly different varaition. Would running power out in the yard be a benefit? $500 be the foundation for another goal? Good luck in choice. Beer and Beef is always a wise investment.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions all. I thought about it for a few days and decided to just get some things to improve what I have already. The ring that came with my vertical charcoal smoker was pretty flimsy so I bought a replacement wsm ring. Stuff like that.

I’ll have to keep my eye out for good used deals but I have never really seen them on CL around here.

And of course a nice bottle of whisky.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky