NEW-B.....To an extent.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mtsmoker

Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the site and so far I've read nothing but helpful threads and post. I'm not brand new to the world of smoking meat, but my knowledge is limited. I LOVE smokin' meats, cheeses, poultry....etc. My uncle travels and competes so what I do know has come from watching, helping, and being told.

I just purchased my very first grill/smoker. Unfortunately it's not exactly the commercial size trailer smoker my uncle and I have always used. I bought the Char-griller Duo and purchased the smoker box attachment so I can start my own livelyhood of smoking meats for my family now. I'm EXTREMELY excited I found this site and look forward to all the things I will learn.

My apptitude for cooking is high, and I understand a lot of the vocab, but noticed some words/expressions that look like they may be used on SMF only lol. But I will catch on and can't wait to contribute my ideas as well.

Any advice with my DUO grill that anyone may have would be appreciated.

CAN'T wait to try my first FATTY...Which I haven't heard of until NOW!

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to SMF.. lots of great people here and good advice.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to the SMF, and thanks for the introduction. Looks like congrats are in order for your new smoker. Here is a lnk to a Wiki that deals with some acronyms http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/acronyms  

It's all good my friend.

Last edited:
Welcome to smf glad to have ya!!! I have a duo also,its not a bad unit i like the use of the gass grill and the smoker in one. Although it is a big unit and takes up alot of space. The smoker side does take some getting used to. The first thing is the high and low temps across the grate. Most people just flip the charcoal pan and drill some holes in it,this is fine but i wanted to keep the charcoal pan so i made my own baffle and then lined the bottom of the chamber with fire brick and made a small spot for a foil waterpan. This works great to help even out the temps across the grates.I have also used oven rope around the lid to help seal the chamber up.And made a charcoal basket for the fire box,the stock charcoal grate that comes with the firebox only hold up to about 3 smokes before its junk. There's tons of mods that you can do,but you should do a few smokes with it as is to get a feel for the smoker before you do any mods. That way you can know what you're looking for. Here's a search i did and got some great info.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=chargriller+mods  

Hope it helps! Have fun...LES

First off welcome to SMF. If you want to have a wealth of info on any given subject, go to the search box at the top & type in your search. There are tons of threads on mods to your smoker.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Welcome to SMF. You will find lots of great info and helpful folks

MTSMOKER, We are so glad to have you here, I think everyone has covered about what I would tell you. 1) Sign up for the FREE E-Course, I had been smoking 6 years when I got it and really learned alot.  2) Use the Search Bar and WIKI Sections, there is more stuff to read than you can ever imagine and you can find answers quick.  3) Probably the most important, the only dumb question that you can ask here at SMF is the one you do not ask!  Again, welcome to one of the greatest sites on the web and maybe we can help you and you can help us!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Welcome to smf glad to have ya!!! I have a duo also,its not a bad unit i like the use of the gass grill and the smoker in one. Although it is a big unit and takes up alot of space. The smoker side does take some getting used to. The first thing is the high and low temps across the grate. Most people just flip the charcoal pan and drill some holes in it,this is fine but i wanted to keep the charcoal pan so i made my own baffle and then lined the bottom of the chamber with fire brick and made a small spot for a foil waterpan. This works great to help even out the temps across the grates.I have also used oven rope around the lid to help seal the chamber up.And made a charcoal basket for the fire box,the stock charcoal grate that comes with the firebox only hold up to about 3 smokes before its junk. There's tons of mods that you can do,but you should do a few smokes with it as is to get a feel for the smoker before you do any mods. That way you can know what you're looking for. Here's a search i did and got some great info.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=chargriller+mods  

Hope it helps! Have fun...LES
Awesome....Thanks so much! I was hoping to find some good mods that I can handle to amp up my game. I completely agree with gettting the placebo affect first. I will definitely throw a rack of ribs or a brisket on it a few times. Then MODS here I come. Thanks for the link as well.

First off welcome to SMF. If you want to have a wealth of info on any given subject, go to the search box at the top & type in your search. There are tons of threads on mods to your smoker.
AWESOME again.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to entertaining my taste buds on a whole nother level now that I've found a whole wealth of "smokin" info!!! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky