New around heah

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doo dah

Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Guess I found this sight out of necessity. I own a deer camp in the swamps of Mississippi. Seems that the wild hogs like it a lot. My biologist friend told me that I need to take out 85% of the critters per year just to stabalize the numbers. So, I am trying to comply. 40 or so have been killed in the last 2 years. I have only made sausage so far and might need you fellows input on smoking hams etc. Give me a hand and I'll take you hunting. Thanks Joe Herring AKA Doo Dah

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Sounds like your gonna have lots of pork
biggrin.gif
Ham, sausage, bacon are just some of the fun you can have not bad at all. Sounds like your gonna need to find a good source for cure. You'll find some good info here on both sausage, ham and lots more good stuff. Have fun and happy smoking.

Welcome to the family, sure does sound like you got your hands full.

I would take you up on that offer, however....here in Texas I got enough of them Darn critters to deal with on my own. I sure don't have to travel very far to shoot a whole mess of em.

Good Luck and keep us posted, remember we like pics (q-view)

And ask away with all your questions, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Good Luck, Happy Hunting

Say Doo Dah, welcome to the SMF. You might get more offers than you expected. It's all good my friend.

D.D.
If it didn't cost me a left testicle to get a Miss. hunting licenese id be happy to cross the border and help ya in your quest for a pig slaughter.
But as it is , the powers that be in La. an Miss. can't seem to get it together.
Over on this side we have found out that you can't even start to controll the hog population unless you have a year round program and make it a point to take out the sows as fast as you can. Hogs can only breed and the sows make the piglets . if you can cut down the sows to a low enogh number the boars will move on looking to breed. But ya have to stay on em even to the point that it interferes w/ deer hunting to do any good.
Good luck and welcome to the site. Bob

Sounds like I'm not only one with a hog problem. You boys in the south can probably help. Since we don't get much winter I need input on curing and smoking. The way I figure it the only way to have constant cool weather for curing is in a frig. Is this totally necessary?

DooDah, just look around on this forum, and /or goggle it. There are quite a few sites, look up home curing, dry curing, wet curing. Oh and by the way Welcome to the forum.

Charlie

Greetings 'Joe', and Welcome to the 'community'.

Enjoy your stay at
SMF
Settle in and have fun.
Any questions, plenty of experts... and make yourself at home.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

welcome_clipart.gif
to our little off ramp on the information super highway. Hope you enjoy your stay. Learn lots and then help to guide other SMF members on their smoking journeys. This is a great place to perfect your craft with tons of really great folks who honestly want you to succeed.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you will have a lot of pork to smoke for sure!

Welcome doo dah...I sure would recomend curing in a frig. You know anybody with a walk-in you might be able to use? You know...you furnish the meat...he furnishes the place to cure. I and a lot of others on here make our own bacon, sausage and lots of other goodies....just take a look around, and I'm sure you'll find some great suggestions.

thanks for the tips fellars. I'm so excited I think I'll go load up some 250 grainers for my .338 and go shoot something.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky