New Air Fryer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Norwester55

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 1, 2018
Oregon
I had a small (3.2 qt) one that bit the dust a few weeks ago so I started searching for an larger oven type that would fit the limited space I have. I like the ones that SmokinAl and Bear have but I'm just cooking for myself and I didn't want to have to drag it out of the storage room every time I wanted to heat up a frozen burrito. Found a 6 qt Kalorik (made in Belgium) that was just the right size! Priced from $268 at Best Buy to $125 at Walmart. That would come under the no-brainer heading?

It looks like its well made, the basket,skewers and rotisserie are SS. The trays actually look like the cheapo carbon steel pizza pan I have but they're most likely coated. It has a 1 yr warranty and other than someone complaining about the smell 1st cook I haven't seen any bad reviews. 12 presets plus a reheat option. 180*-400* and a 1-60 minute timer. Just a guess that the 2 trays will hold 2-3 times the amount my old one did, probably can get 6-7 good sized drum sticks per tray. If you see the pics of what looks like a chicken roasting in their ads I'd say that its probably a Cornish Game Hen. Its not that big! Some places have it advertised as 10.6 qt but that's a misprint. Anyway cooked some drumsticks as a test and they were delicious!

https://kalorik.com/site/afo-44880-bk.html

IMG_20190710_152652.jpg

IMG_20190710_182132.jpg

IMG_20190710_185148.jpg

IMG_20190710_140626.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
I got the largest Ninja version. Used it alot for easy cooks. Never seen you brand but looks nice.

Nice new toy!

Mrs. Red and I just bought our first air fryer last month- a Ninja 6 qt., and we’re starting to wonder how we lived without one! The “new” hasn’t worn off yet, but we’re using this thing every day!

Red

Reactions: chopsaw
I havent fried anything in 10-15 years. 2 for 1 sales of curly fries are my enemy now.

I noticed after I ordered this one that Instant Pot came out a couple days later with a bit larger 10 qt version called the Vortex that sells for $120 at Walmart and thought "Crap, should have waited!" Looking at the Vortex online today I'm absolutely positive that its made for them by Kalorik. Brushed aluminum exterior and the control panel is different but everything else is identical to the Kalorik. Top, door, door handle/latch, rotisserie drive and even the trays and the markings on the bottom of the oven are the same. This one is the perfect size for me and I'm happy with it but feel better on the build quality considering that Instant pot is putting their name on a Kalorik oven.
Now if I could find some wings at a decent price. $2.99 a pound at Waremart! :emoji_astonished:

The Vortex
c5dd6776-8dc6-46e3-bea8-4e6446496aba_1.4101c5af7f3459e8ff50b96bbc42a84e.jpeg

That does look fancy. I like the rotisserie option you mentioned.
I went w/ the biggest Ninja. Not an insta pot officially.
Chose it for the pressure cooker option. Have wanted to try that for awhile.
Threw in a rack of ribs to experiment yesterday. 25 min pressure cook then 20 min roast, same device.
Admit, no where near taste of spending the time on a smoker but way better than 80% of so called BBQ places.

That does look fancy. I like the rotisserie option you mentioned.
I went w/ the biggest Ninja. Not an insta pot officially.
Chose it for the pressure cooker option. Have wanted to try that for awhile.
Threw in a rack of ribs to experiment yesterday. 25 min pressure cook then 20 min roast, same device.
Admit, no where near taste of spending the time on a smoker but way better than 80% of so called BBQ places.
I use my Instant pot quite a bit in the fall/winter for soup, stews and occasional roast. Its nice to be able to throw beans in there and eat in an hour or so when you forgot to soak them over night.
My dad would go on a pressure cooker experimentation kick every once in awhile. I'd hear him laughing in the kitchen and then "Hey, come look at this!" Spaghetti noodles as big around as your finger...

I've done a few experiments. Read you could throw something completely frozen in and cook.
Tried a butt and a ham, frozen solid. 4 hrs to cook fully. I admit, no where near as good as smoking but a good rub and sauce makes it 10x better than Fast Food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky