Never cooked on an offset smoker. What should I cook first?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I decided on a spatchcock chicken. I just picked up a beauty from Whole Foods - about 8 pounds, it is brining as I type this. I figured 275 degrees, over hickory for about 2+ hours should hit the temps I need.

lol I had to edit my lengthy comment.....yea spatchcock chicken was my recommendation :P

quicker cook, more even for both meats and easy on the wallet.

Have fun with it and take pictures!!!

I prefer 285 where they are black and busting at the seams. Slather up a piece of white bread with mayo and slap that baby on there. Its pairs nicely with a Franzia Chardonnay.

The blacker the better.
Black barked wieners are soooo good especially when jammed in between fresh Wallymart buns and drenched with a spicy stone ground brown.
Pairs equally with Franzia Chillable Red too.

I prefer 285 where they are black and busting at the seams. Slather up a piece of white bread with mayo and slap that baby on there. Its pairs nicely with a Franzia Chardonnay.

The blacker the better.
Black barked wieners are soooo good especially when jammed in between fresh Wallymart buns and drenched with a spicy stone ground brown.
Pairs equally with Franzia Chillable Red too.
I'm with you guys on the 280-285 IT and the appearance of the finished product. My preference for toppings though is a squirt of Cheez Whiz and a shot of ketchup. Drink of choice is a grain alcohol sunrise. It's made with Everclear grain alcohol, that fruit punch you get from the store in one gallon plastic jugs, and grenadine. Serve over ice with an olive garnish.

I'm with you guys on the 280-285 IT and the appearance of the finished product. My preference for toppings though is a squirt of Cheez Whiz and a shot of ketchup. Drink of choice is a grain alcohol sunrise. It's made with Everclear grain alcohol, that fruit punch you get from the store in one gallon plastic jugs, and grenadine. Serve over ice with an olive garnish.

Now, I'm hungry and thirsty.
Think I'll go make a TT sammich for lunch and wash it down with an ice cold Stella.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Probe states 196 and the temp gauge on the smoker hood states 300

Attachments

• 20220711_144743.jpg
    20220711_144743.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220711_144733.jpg
    20220711_144733.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 7
The smoke coming out of the chimney is white and whisper thin. But when I open the hood, there is a lot of white smoke. Is this normal for an offset or is this a fire management issue? Again, having never done this before, it is like going from an automatic to a manual transmission.

Thanks everyone. I figured out what I did wrong. I needed a much larger coal bed and also needed to let the wood burn down fully. I'm glad I just cooked a whole chicken and not a brisket!

Again, thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

Good morning.

Well, that was an adventure. I cannot tell you how much I learned about bbq and an offset rig over the last 24 hours!. Truly amazing.

I don't have to tell any of you that it is all about fire management. You can use rubs, injections, brines, sauces, etc., but without proper fire management - you're toast.

I ran into some trouble at the start and with everyone's help from the forum, I recovered. I didn't kill the bird nor did I kill anyone in my family! It came out very moist, and juicy, and it really was delicious. My only complaint is that it didn't have the color I wanted and enough smoke. I assume that these are both due to the issues I had with the fire. Live and learn.

Here is the final product. -

Once again, thank you to everyone who offered advice, suggestions, and guidance.

Peace

PS I did throw a pack of hot dogs on as well. I never had a hot dog taste like that - totally different experience. My kids loved them! And yes, they were a deep, dark mahogany color.

Good deal... now that you got the first cook under your belt you have a better understanding on how the unit is gonna work in the future.
If you find it's not enough smoke for you (which is more pronounced the day after). You can add a stick in the firebox off to the side of the fire so it only smolders and doesn't ignite (for a while, it eventually does).

Reactions: bbqjefff
I just picked up an 8-pound, bone-in pork butt that I will attempt to smoke on Thursday. Wish me luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky