Nesco seasonings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've been u.sing Nesco spice and cure for years so I'll share my experiences. The cure can be a bit heavy at the recommended amount, especially if you just try to mix it with the spice and put it directly on meat without a shaker and a good eye for how much to put on each piece.

The spice can gice a decent flavor/heat but it really needs more than one packet per pound. Alone it is okay, used with a marinade and it can give a little extra kick and provide a cure salt to compliment other jerky flavors.

My personal favorite way to prepare it is to marinade beef in szechuan sauce overnight. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry. Then, using a shaker, apply a 2 spice to 1 cure packet ratio of original Nesco to each side of all pieces of meat (evenly distributed with 1 cure pack worth of the mix per 1.25-1.5lbs of meat). I like my jerky thin so I cut it between 1/16-1/8" slices. The jerky takes 3-5 hours at 160F to finish dehydrating. Thicker slices take longer. I also take the "misc" pieces that wouldn't make a decent sized slice and make about 1"×1" nuggets to round out a batch of jerky.

sent from here using science, without spell check

I just bought a 24 pack of Nesco's flavors including Original, Hot & Spicy, Teriyaki, and Cracked Pepper & Garlic It also comes with 24 cure packs. I think this will be a good addition to my jerky arsenal. I also just bought 5 pounds of sirloin, so it's just waiting to be used.

I'll probably use the packs in conjunction with my own recipes. Taste the marinade before adding the meat is my motto.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky