Need wood advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

simsmoker

Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
Hi all, new to smoking and I'm learning. I smoked ribs a couple of times and pork butt. They both turned out great. So here's my question. I want to smoke a brisket and pork butt. I've been reading hickory, misquote, oak for the brisket and apple or cherry for the pork. I have one smoker, how do I cater the wood to each type of meat?
Thanks for listening.
Dale

Use hickory and smoke it all in the same smoker. 
drool.gif

Hello.  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have, and pictures help a bunch.  As for your question:    Being from Tx. I would normally say Mesquite, ( that is tradition ) cardboard smoked in Mesquite would taste great.  BUT, not everyone likes Mesquite.  Smoke flavour is determined by your region of the country.  IF you know you like mesquite then go for it!  IF you are not sure  then I would suggest pecan and cherry.  Wonderful combo.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Simsmoker, hello and welcome to the Bunch .
banana_smiley.gif
 Make yourself at home and do what you do... you have the back-up crew on the net for BBQ
cool.gif

So, get a
pepsi.gif
and
110.gif
get the big box , You have a lot of reading to do...

As for wood , as my friend in the U.K. said , Mesquite is good , how it's hardy flavor is something of an acquired taste. Look to see if you can find it , and add some tyo any other wood available (Maple is a great choice). Actually any wood you get will give it's own distinctive flavor and any will work on Brisket . Some of us have the advantage of have good available close and relatively cheap.

So , go forth , Grasshopper and play with your Meat , then send Q-view for us to drool over
drool.gif

Have fun and . . .

If I had to pick one wood from all of the various woods to smoke brisket and butt together, I'd go with oak. Are you finding all of our help helpful?
38.gif

If I had to pick one wood from all of the various woods to smoke brisket and butt together, I'd go with oak. Are you finding all of our help helpful?
38.gif

I have to agree with oak.   Love it on anything.

If it was me, mix oak and cherry.      Yummy.

I didn't realize that there were so many answers on the thread. I thought I got the answers through email. Lol, dummy. Yes this has been helpful. I think I'm going to go with a hickory/apple combo and see how that works. I'm smoking Saturday night into Sunday for Sunday dinner. I'll post again on how it turns out with some pictures.
Thank you all.

I didn't realize that there were so many answers on the thread. I thought I got the answers through email. Lol, dummy. Yes this has been helpful. I think I'm going to go with a hickory/apple combo and see how that works. I'm smoking Saturday night into Sunday for Sunday dinner. I'll post again on how it turns out with some pictures.
Thank you all.
I was going to say hickory and apple, but then it wouldn't be as confusing
38.gif

Thank you all.
It's nice to have several Different woods at your disposal then you can mix and match to your tastes and whims.  I have at any given time

Hickory

Cherry

Apple

Pecan (MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM)

Oak

Almond

Enjoy!

Scott

I usually say use what is locally available. What is from your location is most likely what people will recongnize. They are used to that flavor.

I think the norm is hickory for pork, mesquite for brisket, fruits and nuts for fowl and fish.

If you have a mixed smoker.... mix your smoke up. If it were me, I might try a pecan and corn cob, or pecan and cherry. I have pecan trees and it really is my favorite on anything. When you start mixing, I think you must have a very discriminating palete to reconize it. Ok, the color can change.  If you cook your meat perfectly, it will be more talked about than if you use a mixture of exotic smokes. Consentrate on the meat first, the smoke will come. Light smoke will usually sell better than heavy.

My biggest suggestion is if you are not a seasoned veteran with your wood, always go in light handed with your smoke. Some woods are really harsh and used on extremely long smokes. Not to say you couldn't use them on lighter meats like fowl or fish, but to do so you'll have to back off the quantity used.

Whatever you do, Bon Chance. Remember to enjoy the smoke. Stress and smoking just do not marry well together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky