Need Weber part number for charcoal grill on WSM 22.5".

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daniels

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
South-central Iowa
Not sure why it's not in the book that came with my WSM,

I'm using the Low and Slow book and the author says to use 2 charcoal grills at 90* angle and lump charcoal so I'm looking for another charcoal grill.

7441 doesn't fit.  It must just be for the 22.5" kettle.

It's smaller than the original but it might work since it may be big enough to cover the area under the fire ring.

Last edited:
Another option is to buy a square of expanded metal to lay down over the top of the charcoal grate.

I have the 18.5" WSM and not a 22.5", but I bet this idea might work.

The 18.5" WSM can use a charcoal grate from the 18.5" kettle grill which is 13.5" in diameter.  This grate fits perfectly inside the fire ring on top of the original grate.  Here is a photo of the 18.5" WSM grate with the 13.5" extra grate set at 90 degrees like you are looking for.

02dd921c_crossedgrates.jpg

The 22" WSM has a 17" diameter fire ring and the 18" WSM charcoal grate is 15 1/4" in diameter.  So if you get a grate from an 18.5" WSM, it should fit and leave about 3/4 inch around the edge (the same way the 13.5" grate fits inside the 18" WSM like in the photo above.

63013 should be the part number for the charcoal grate for the 18.5" WSM

http://help.weber.com/schematics/View.aspx?all=1&model=721001

As to why do this.....

In the original 18.5" WSM grates (pre-2009 when they redesigned the unit), the charcoal grate had two large gaps at the outer edges and coals would fall down.  The crossed grates will keep smaller pieces of hot coals on the grate in a mass which is where you want it.  Here is a photo of a grate with expanded metal.  You can also see the open ends in this photo.

42d16783_expandgrate.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky