• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Need trail balona recipe.

viper1

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 13, 2011
Looking for a good trail balona recipe. Tried quite a few but non like I want. Looking for one thats like reqular Troyer Trail they sell in stores for my wife. Any one have a good one they will share?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
PM Nepas. I'm sure he has a good one.

viper1

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 13, 2011
I did he said he's get back to me.  He sounds pretty busy though.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I did he said he's get back to me.  He sounds pretty busy though.
He'll get back to you soon.

He's never busy, the other two of him do all the work, while he goofs off at Mother's Day parties & such.  

Bear

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Silly wabbits

Trail bologna for 10 lbs. Reduce by half for a 5 lb batch

7 lbs lean meat pre ground 90/10 store bought is fine
2 lbs. pork butt
1 lb. beef or pork fat or another lb of butt
4 Tbs salt
2 tsp cure #1.......level tsp
2 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs  onion powder
2 Tbs garlic powder
3 tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp cardamom, ground
2 tsp mustard powder

2 tsp red pepper flakes....opt but taste good
2 tsp mace
1/2 cup corn syrup solids
1/4 cup powdered dextrose
1.5 cup water
2 cups non-fat-dry milk

For a 10 lb batch you will need 8 trail bologna rounds. You can use straight bologna casings also. Soak the casings for 45 mins in cold water and 1 Tbs salt added. Rinse before stuffing.

Mix all the above dry with the water.  Stuff casings and ring the end.

Place in smoker at 140* for 1.5 hrs to dry casings. Smoke at 150. Try not to exceed 170* and your looking for a meat IT of 150-155* I normally pull from smoker at an IT of 149-150 and hang, they will climb to temp.

viper1

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 13, 2011
Thank you Nepas! I seen you  were pretty busy so didnt expect it so soon. This will be my first smoke soon as I get my bradley. Are these hog or calageen casings?

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
They are non edible collagen rounds. You can get them at Sausage Maker http://www.sausagemaker.com/28015roundcasings.aspx

Or you can buy beef rounds.

Coffee_junkie

If you dont want to grind you can always buy ground meat from the store. If you do that and dont want any pork be sure to get 80/20

viper1

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 13, 2011
Nepas just want to say a big Thank You! That recipe rocks. I even use it for venison by throwing in a extra pound of pork fat. The wife and all that try it love it. I bow to you.:)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.