Need to preserve rubbed brisket for 1 week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bsw50

Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Well after reading through several threads here, I finally attempted my first brisket today and it was a complete failure! Last night I injected and rubbed the meat, then foiled it and set it in the fridge overnight. I woke up sick around 5AM and had to cancel the smoke!

My question is, is there a way I can preserve the prepped brisket until this upcoming weekend? I don't know if I should saran wrap it good and leave it in the fridge, or try and freeze it, or if its a total waste since is has been injected with broth and beer + a bbq rub. What should I do?

A week is a long time for a brisket to sit in the frigde.With no cure in it and being injected i don't think i would let it sit a week,i may be wrong but thats my opinion.I would freeze it,then thaw it in your fridge.I'm sure other members will be along with there wisdom to help ya.Hope you feel better!!

The only way I know of to keep it for that long. (other than freezing) is to vacuum pack it, Like with a Food Saver. If you don't have one, freezing is your only option.

Was the meat fresh or frozen to begin with? You can not refreeze uncooked meat without some risk. If it was fresh the by all means freeze it right away. If it was previously frozen then I would check and see if you can smoke it during the week by Wednesday or so.

I agree with Scarbelly,  you need to do something if you can't freeze it, cook it in your oven and consider it a learning experience...

Thanks for the info - I'd rather be safe than sorry, so if I don't cook it in the oven then I will trash it. I promise to post up a Q-view of the next one!

Thanks for the info - I'd rather be safe than sorry, so if I don't cook it in the oven then I will trash it. I promise to post up a Q-view of the next one!
Dont trash it man... At least do it low and slow in your oven... It will be good but missing the smoke flavor... "waste not, want not" do it in the oven and use it as a practice before you smoke it...

So it's only two days since you injected it.

If I was too sick to go out & smoke it, I'd do it in the kitchen oven at maybe 250˚.

I wouldn't try to keep it for a week.

Bear

icon_cool.gif

Unless you are that sick I would do like bear said and cook it in the oven. I wouldn't throw this hunk of meat away. Heck if you have another SMF member near you give it to them and let them smoke it. Otherwise throw it into the oven and you won't have to touch it till it's done.

just cook it sick...you might not be able to tend to it as often but use that meat for sandwiches...do another brisket next weekend :)

that's what i'd do

I agree it would be a shame to waste a good piece of meat. The issue now is that I work 8-5:30, I was only looking to smoke it yesterday because of the MLK holiday. If I were to cook it now, I'd have to leave it in the oven or electric smoker all day while I'm at work. That makes me pretty nervous, although I'd feel more comfortable cooking it in the smoker (without continuous smoke) than in the oven.

Main reason I didn't cook it is because I had a stomach bug and had invited people over for dinner. I didn't want to take any chances of getting them sick after handling the food. I have the MES 40" smoker - thoughts on letting it run unattended at 225 for 8 hours?

Last edited:
I agree it would be a shame to waste a good piece of meat. The issue now is that I work 8-5:30, I was only looking to smoke it yesterday because of the MLK holiday. If I were to cook it now, I'd have to leave it in the oven or electric smoker all day while I'm at work. That makes me pretty nervous, although I'd feel more comfortable cooking it in the smoker (without continuous smoke) than in the oven.

Main reason I didn't cook it is because I had a stomach bug and had invited people over for dinner. I didn't want to take any chances of getting them sick after handling the food. I have the MES 40" smoker - thoughts on letting it run unattended at 225 for 8 hours?
Shouldn't be a problem if it is outside...  Do you have an AMNS that you can use to have continual smoke?  Other wise you will not have smoke after the chip tray is empty...

Nah I don't have the AMNS but need to order one ASAP! It will make life easier especially with briskets. Guess I'll aim to cook it in the smoker sans the smoke part tomorrow, thanks all for the advice.

Shouldn't be a problem if it is outside...  Do you have an AMNS that you can use to have continual smoke?  Other wise you will not have smoke after the chip tray is empty...

You can run the MES unattended for 8 hours easily, if you had an AMNS smoke generator you could get smoke for those 8 hours also. I have done just that. Put a brisket in the MES, started the AMNS & went to bed. Got up 8 hours later, the smoker was still at 225 & still smoking. Since you don't have an AMNS, I would put a couple of wood chunks & a piece of charcoal in the chip pan. It should produce smoke for 2 or 3 hours or longer, a much longer time than the chips would and it will be better than in the oven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky