Need tips on making venison breakfast sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
Been cooking venison for close to 40 years. IMO venison is one of the most difficult proteins to master but can be done. I have been making breakfast sausage using my ground venison with 25% pork. I have tried LEM and some of Waltons sausage seasoning packets. Most of the seasoning mixes I have tried are designed for pork and so I only have OK results. Any recipes or suggestion would be appreciated.

Just be sure that with 25% pork used there is enough fat for the entire batch of sausage to be at least 20% fat.
That is the first mistake I see people make when using venison-not adding enough fat to the sausage.

Reactions: zwiller
Just be sure that with 25% pork used there is enough fat for the entire batch of sausage to be at least 20% fat.
That is the first mistake I see people make when using venison-not adding enough fat to the sausage.

That is always my mistake. If I dont have enough pork trimming I use a pork butt and not the same as fat. I am new to sausage making. Just tried venison brats with 25% pork butt and should have probably used 50%, but im still learning.

+1 indaswamp indaswamp ; I think most guys are still trying to convince their wives they are saving money eating venison that they won't pay for fat. Butt is better than nothing, but 25% pork that is 20% fat, is sausage that is only 5% fat and 95% venison. 50% pork, 10% fat. I think you should use fatback to do venison sausage right or at least higher fat pork cuts like belly or jowl where you confidently hit 20% fat. Seek a butcher or processor and get the goods and do it right.

Like said. need to have fat..... I purchase raw uncured fatback. Remove the skin, cut into small blocks and vacuum seal to make to 2 lb packages. Good fat content to add.

To get the correct ratio separate all the fat from the lean meat, weigh out and ratio accordingly.

I like 25-30% fat with fresh breakfast sausage. I prefer not to use a binder also. Here's a good recipe to go to

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fassetts-breakfast-sausage-seasoning.83939/

Boykjo

Reactions: chopsaw
This is great info, thanks! Now I need to find butcher in STL that sells fatback.

This is great info, thanks! Now I need to find butcher in STL that sells fatback.
I have bought it at Dierbergs just by chance talking to the Meat cutter one day . If you are close to St. Charles county Josephville Meats is a local guy that buys local meat . He will get you what ever you need .

I have bought it at Dierbergs just by chance talking to the Meat cutter one day . If you are close to St. Charles county Josephville Meats is a local guy that buys local meat . He will get you what ever you need .
Good to hear from a local boy. Will check out Josephville meats, I like the fact he is buying local. I live in South county and usually drive 28 miles to Waterloo IL to get quality meats.

Good to hear from a local boy. Will check out Josephville meats, I like the fact he is buying local. I live in South county and usually drive 28 miles to Waterloo IL to get quality meats.
Well this would be a little longer drive for you I think . If you do make the drive , there are 2 other places in the same area to check out .

That is always my mistake. If I dont have enough pork trimming I use a pork butt and not the same as fat. I am new to sausage making. Just tried venison brats with 25% pork butt and should have probably used 50%, but im still learning.
All that I do is wildlife. I very strongly suggest using the cleanest venison, with no fat tissue, ligaments, etc. and use pork jowels. That will help you get your true percentages of fat needed to keep your moisture, and flavors without dominating over the flavors of the venison. Good luck!

Those hot dogs look good. What is the binder you use and what does it do.

I used soy protein isolate. Used for same water-binding capability as Soy Protein Concentrate (SPC), except it is composed of over 90% protein and can hold up to 30% more water than SPC. Made from de-fatted soy meal by removing most of the fats and carbohydrates, giving it a very neutral flavor and gelling action in meat products. Adds nutritional value, consistent texture and firmness to sausages.

Boykjo

Reactions: zwiller
boykjo boykjo Slight tangent but do you have a preferred binder for the opposite from above where you want the product to less firm and more tender?

+1 indaswamp indaswamp ; I think most guys are still trying to convince their wives they are saving money eating venison that they won't pay for fat. Butt is better than nothing, but 25% pork that is 20% fat, is sausage that is only 5% fat and 95% venison. 50% pork, 10% fat. I think you should use fatback to do venison sausage right or at least higher fat pork cuts like belly or jowl where you confidently hit 20% fat. Seek a butcher or processor and get the goods and do it right.
I think people compare home made sausage to the stuff they buy in the store that is 50% fat becasue fat is cheap and more profitable to sell in sausage, then they say, " I don't want a lot of fat in my sausage." and then don't put enough when they make it and it is grainy and dry as hell... I hear this a lot from people I talk to around here. I try to explain to them. Some listen, some don't.

I think people compare home made sausage to the stuff they buy in the store that is 50% fat becasue fat is cheap and more profitable to sell in sausage, then they say, " I don't want a lot of fat in my sausage." and then don't put enough when they make it and it is grainy and dry as hell... I hear this a lot from people I talk to around here. I try to explain to them. Some listen, some don't.
If they dont believe you I have 25 lb of venison brats they could try. Working on best way to cook them that not to dry. Thinking to grill to 140 deg max or cook in beer.

Touche'. That's probably correct. I remember when I was first reading about making sausage and seeing recipes said 20% fat. I was like what, ADD fat?!

B BC Buck Not sure if there is a way to rescue them but WI style brats might help. Basically a 2 step process. Simmer in several beers, sticks of butter, and sliced onions. Then when serving, sear on grill and serve with kraut and mustard on top. One of the very rare times where beer can be tasted when added to dish.

BCB, I use 2/3 venison to 1/3 pork butt, ground twice in 3/16 plate. it makes a nice mix and holds together nicely in patty form. Most pork butt around here comes with 3/4 to 1 inch of back fat on them. Use everything but the nasty white membrane junk.

BCB, I use 2/3 venison to 1/3 pork butt, ground twice in 3/16 plate. it makes a nice mix and holds together nicely in patty form. Most pork butt around here comes with 3/4 to 1 inch of back fat on them. Use everything but the nasty white membrane junk.[/QUOTE

This is about the ratio we go also. Owen's seasoning has been a go-to.

i typically go about 50/50 venison to pork butt or pork trim, the pork trim is a bit fattier than the butt, but even as low as 15% fat in the final product doesnt end up being to dry in most products for us. I wouldnt go any lower, if I wanted a higher vension content I certainly would be going to adding straight fat to stay above 15% and closer to that 20% mark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky