Need texas style smoker advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Frankluvribs

Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
I was lucky enough to run up on an affordable used "New Braunfels" Texas style smoker and did some modifications on it . Used this smoker once and the results were not too bad but I need some experienced advice I think. I am going to try again tomorrow. Not to be pushy but if I could ask one question now, I use charcoal for the heat and hickory chunks for the smoke. I want to stay away from the creosote taste, Do I let the hickory fire completely burn down first or can I smoke with it and still on fire, or do I choke it off till it is only partially burning??? Still chasing the elusive thin blue. Many more questions coming later. Thanks for the help Frank

Edit Report

Try only adding coals that are pre burned until they have turned mostly white. This will help a great deal with creosote. Adding cold fresh coal gives off white smoke.

Frank,
I too use charcoal for heat/wood for flavor...I get everything going with a full charcoal chimney of hot coals. It takes my Lang about 45 minutes to get up to cooking temp. I look for almost clear (pure heat) comming from my exhaust before adding meat to the CC. Place your next round of chunks on the firebox to preheat aiding in quick lighting. Don't think if you don't see smoke your food is not getting "smoke" flavor.
Teddy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky