Need some sausage making help...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I can get 32-35mm hog casings local at a butcher supply house. They sell casings from Quality Casing Company
https://www.qualitycasing.com/

I like them a lot. Good stretch for a good snap when stuffed, rarely tear... Every now and then the casings will have too many whiskers, but I just invert the casing and put the whiskers on the inside. I've gone through probably 20 hanks since I started using them...very pleased....they are located in Kentucky...

Reactions: DougE and boykjo
I haven't had a blow out since I started storing them like Joe's thread . Yesterday I had 2 . These won't even stretch . Gonna just order some more . I'll look at those suggestions .
Thanks .

Reactions: indaswamp
I can get 32-35mm hog casings local at a butcher supply house. They sell casings from Quality Casing Company
https://www.qualitycasing.com/

I like them a lot. Good stretch for a good snap when stuffed, rarely tear... Every now and then the casings will have too many whiskers, but I just invert the casing and put the whiskers on the inside. I've gone through probably 20 hanks since I started using them...very pleased....they are located in Kentucky...
I will give them a try next order. I always like to support local businesses when possible, and they're about 1 1/2 hours from where I am in KY.

Reactions: indaswamp
Hey guys. Coming back to this thread. My original problem was with LEM brand casings, but I tried casings from The Sausage Maker and had the same issue. I see several others have reported that their casings from The Sausage Maker have also been tough and chewy regardless of proper casing prep, so clearly it isn't me or something I'm doing wrong.

I'm getting more and more serious about my sausage making, and need to find better casings. I don't have any local butcher shops that sell casings, and I looked up Quality Casings as mentioned here, but they don't seem to sell their products online to consumers. I also looked at Syracuse Casings, but it seems all of their casings are pre-tubed, and after playing around with pre-tubed and non-pre-tubed, I found the pre-tubed to be annoying so Syracuse Casings is also out.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of casings that I can buy online and have shipped to me? The only other option I can think of is PS Seasoning, but not sure if they are any good either. Any advise would be appreciated.

I'm super excited to start ramping up my sausage making and need to get this casing issue sorted, as I just upgraded my stuffer to the LEM 10 lb. motorized stuffer, and also just pulled the trigger on a Pro Smoker PK 100 Digital Smoker to use as a dedicated sausage smoker. Since that smoker is fully insulated and can run at 140-150 all day with ease, it will also double as a warming cabinet for overnight brisket holds after they come off the offset. Next upgrade will be the grinder... and I'm eying the Meat Your Maker 1.5 HP grinder which looks like a beast. https://www.meatyourmaker.com/process/grinders/1.5-hp-grinder-32/1117074.html#start=1

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky