Need some input everyone.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ammaturesmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I am heading up to Scout Camp this week. I do not do mess hall food for my zero carb/low fat diet. I just found out the Utah forest is now banning camp fires and includes charcoal grills. I have a gas kit burner that I can put into one of my kettles. I just don't own a gas unit anymore. My question is, should I use lava rock to cover the burner? I would prefer something different. Is there anything ceramic wise that I could try that would be able to take the heat of the burner and not crack while still being food safe?

if you cover the burner with lava rocks most people will think you cooked with charcoal ...i proved this many years ago with a group of friends that claimed to be hard core charcoal lovers .....they never knew i used gas until i told them ..now they all have gas grills because they love how much easier and faster it is

There are ceramic briquettes and all sorts of things out there and they work well and much better than lava rock.
For a smoker, a well sized cast iron pan also worked quite for me.

Where did you get your Weber gas burner kit? Are you in Australia? On the weber forum there is talk about those. Very interesting. Apparently they are not sold in the US. I am gathering from there that lava rocks are not necessary with that kit.

Where did you get your Weber gas burner kit? Are you in Australia? On the weber forum there is talk about those. Very interesting. Apparently they are not sold in the US. I am gathering from there that lava rocks are not necessary with that kit.

Gassmokers.com

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky