Need some advice. Grill, or what for beef steaks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spaz

Original poster
Aug 9, 2022
Hello folks.. New here.

A friend gave me a weber summit silver, and at first I thought I scored. But now, not so much.. Its junk.

At one time I thought I might buy a griddle after my mom fried a steak for me..

Would a griddle be a better choice than a grill for beef steaks? I might be cooking for four people, but mostly alone.

Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
Perhaps pictures of the Weber would help.

I recently purchased a Blackstone 36" griddle and truth be told can do some things easier than a grill. However, my grill still has its niche in the broader scheme of things and I would never get rid of it, They both have their unique advantages.

I say, refurbish the grill and get a griddle as well.

I hope this helps and welcome from Pittsburgh, PA

John

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Perhaps pictures of the Weber would help.

I recently purchased a Blackstone 36" griddle and truth be told can do some things easier than a grill. However, my grill still has its niche in the broader scheme of things and I would never get rid of it, They both have their unique advantages.

I say, refurbish the grill and get a griddle as well.

I hope this helps and welcome from Pittsburgh, PA

John

The folks over on the weber forum said my summit silver is a money pit. Maybe I only need a propane burner to heat a big cast iron frying outside for the summer..

Last edited:
Take pics of the weber grill, I have a Weber Summit 6 burner and love it! It's just my wife and I now so it's way bigger than we need. With that said, we also have a 36"Blackstone griddle, 4 smokers, and a cheap charcoal kettle...see what happens when you stick around here? :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

I have a weber Genisis? I use'ta put a cast iron griddle on it often, but my youngest dot screwed that up...

Reactions: spaz
Cast iron will work well on a gas grill.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 12
In the summertime I use my kettles for all outdoor cooking beef, poultry, fish, and pork. I have a cheap gas grill that I'll use in the winter months for burgers, dogs and ham steaks. I'd love a own a griddle, but living in a colder climate it would only get used a few times a year.

Chris

What is the weber doing to make it junk? It has a pretty simple job of searing steaks on hot and cooking them on low. I have a really cheap dynaglow with a "sear station" that just engulfes the the steak with flames. Just have to watch the flair ups and move it to the other side faster.

Hello folks.. New here.

A friend gave me a weber summit silver, and at first I thought I scored. But now, not so much.. Its junk.

At one time I thought I might buy a griddle after my mom fried a steak for me..

Would a griddle be a better choice than a grill for beef steaks? I might be cooking for four people, but mostly alone.

Thanks
Greetings from S Florida.
depends on the steaks. down here near Miami most cuts in the store are what we call Cuban cut, very thin cuts. Believe it of not, for those i have a Charbroil x200 tabletop propane that cooks about 5 degrees above hell. I just stay on top of the meat and sear up to 130.... Good and very hot even heat is the key for me.
If we are lucky enough (and can afford) to get some nice2" jobs,I go two ways. If theresnothing else to do I will sousVide them to 120, then get my big cast iron pan out and put it on the side burner of my Napoleon til it screams. 1-2 minutes sear on each side. rest for 10 minutes. tht's not always convenient for group cooks. Other times with a nice thick steak i use my MB electric and smoke them at 200 until time for the sear thing. I'd just use the hottest tool you got and stay on top of them until the are about 15 degrees shy of your doneness. then quickly do the sear thing with a pat of butter on them. ret.

Thanks folks.. My summit silver flavorizer bars center piece is busted in four places. The burner flame cross over tubes are practically rusted in half, and that's all I know since I never fired it up. Way to big for one steak too.

My son gave me a charcoal grill, but Ive never cooked with charcoal and sounds like a learning curve. How do you shut it off lol?

My X used to cook for the family, and my mom rip before that, so... Yeah.

Ive been eating all you can eat at the U of I dorm dining halls where I work because I live alone, and you cant beat my 50% discount.. But the dining halls serve frankenburgers, so Ive been eating their chicken breasts and fried eggs everyday, so I need some real beef steaks on the weekends. They have great fruits, vegetables, ice cream and cookies though.

I'm thinking a single propane burner and a frying pan is all I need.. Or maybe a George Foreman grill?

Thanks again..
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG

Last edited:
Not too bad of shape for its age.
A good pressure washing to blast off all the gunk inside and out.
Then a set of new burner tubes and a regulator/hose assembly and she'll be good as new.
You really don't need new flavorizer bars just because the center support bar is gone.
Hopefully, the valves are still good because those are hard to come by and a real PITA to teardown and rebuild.

Also, you don't need to run both sides of the grill at the same time.

OK, that grill looks abused...don't knock the foreman for a quick inside cook.
If I'm inside, I'm going to use a frying pan on the stove.

Check out Bearcarver's posts on this site about his ninja grill. Very versatile machine, might work good for you?
That ninja grill is nice, but Id rather cook outside during warm weather. And I would need a stand, but everything I see like that has steel legs which will rust out eventually.

Im the buy once, cry once type of person, so something stainless steel, propane, life long, hopefully american made with lid to leave outside.

I know, I'm picky..
Not too bad of shape for its age.
A good pressure washing to blast off all the gunk inside and out.
Then a set of new burner tubes and a regulator/hose assembly and she'll be good as new.
You really don't need new flavorizer bars just because the center support bar is gone.
Hopefully, the valves are still good because those are hard to come by and a real PITA to teardown and rebuild.

Also, you don't need to run both sides of the grill at the same time.
Thanks.. How can I tell if the valves are good before buying new burner tubes? There are two regulator/hose assemblies with the summit silver.

I guess I just need to fire it up..

Last edited:
If I'm inside, I'm going to use a frying pan on the stove.

That ninja grill is nice, but Id rather cook outside during warm weather. And I would need a stand, but everything I see like that has steel legs which will rust out eventually.

Im the buy once, cry once type of person, so something stainless steel, propane, life long, hopefully american made with lid to leave outside.

I know, I'm picky..

Thanks.. How can I tell if the valves are good before buying new burner tubes? There are two regulator/hose assemblies with the summit silver.

I guess I just need to fire it up..

If the control knobs operate smoothly and don't require much effort to turn, then you're golden. If they are slightly "sticky" then a quick short blast of WD-40 to the valve stem will do the trick. If the valves are near frozen or don't rotate all the way to the end stop, then the valves need to be disassembled and cleaned up. Of course you can buy new valves at anywhere from $26 each and upward.

Here's a good video on an older Summit Silver like yours.

Might would work for you. Lots of videos on youtube on using a kettle. And if your just wanting to like sear a single steak use a chimney with about half full of charcoal.
Just trying to throw options at you
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky