Need idea for a spark/ash arrestor screen.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atcnick

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Longview, Texas
I built a cinder block smoker, burns wood. I need some type of screen to cover the whole where the heat and smoke enter the smoking chamber. I'm getting some ash floating around and I'm affraid it's going to get on the food. Any suggestions?

here's a picture of inside of the smoking chamber.  This is where the smoke/heat comes in, you can see the ashes on the ground in front of the opening. 

468fcfb1_228dcbd4.jpg

icon_cool.gif

I to recommend that you look at your local Homeless depot and see what they have. Maybe a aluminum screening would work out. After all it shouldn't be dealing with that much heat really.

It gets up to about 175 inside the smoker.  What is the screening used for?  So I know where to look.

stainless steel window screen

hi, i to built a smoker out of blocks...i made mine reverse flow, its the best smoker i have...

like you i built a  rectangle box...with the fire box opening like yours except i left block out the completely ...u can use a piece of angle on the top to keep laying ur blocks...i lined the rectangle with angle on all sides but the far wall farthest from the fire box...i then layed a piece of steel plate on the angle leaving the steel plate about 6" short of the far wall..... this is mu floor...then i kept building my walls higher on 3 sides and on the front i left holes for the 2 doors...again useing angle...i put a steel plate on top for a roof put a 6" pipe in the farthest section  and 2..6" pipes in the top closest to the fire box...i did divide the 2 chambers with a piece of steel...i cut vents and made sliders  in the divider wall so smoke could go thru...but i could stop it if i wanted to...i build my fire in my fire box which is located beneath the floor of the first chamber, the fire underneith gets  that chamber  to about 180 to 200 deg.  the far chamber gets to about 225 r 250 deg. and holds pretty well..its a log hog but it sure holds temps great...only way i would go...plus it was a blast to build...i use to have pic. of it somewhere...i hope this helps...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky