Need help with small brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dauntless

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Groton, CT
It’s been along time since I’ve posted. It’s hard to smoke meat when you’re underway on a submarine Haha. We recently Went in on a cow with three other couples so we ended up with a quarter cow. What was labeled brisket with what we got is what is shown in pictures. It’s only about 4 pounds and picture show both sides of it. I’ve only ever smoked a packer, not sure what to do with this small of a cut any recommendations greatly appreciate it

Attachments

• 7EB5B729-027B-4814-8F15-857A4FF1D0B2.jpeg
    7EB5B729-027B-4814-8F15-857A4FF1D0B2.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 5C4DF892-F72B-4AC3-9ED3-E0CBD61FCFD1.jpeg
    5C4DF892-F72B-4AC3-9ED3-E0CBD61FCFD1.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 17
When dealing with a small, lean flat, SmokinAl's method is your best bet:

4 pounds or 14, the procedure and desired results are the same. I would Smoke any Brisket at 200-225, until a Probe slides in with only slight resistance. I start testing at an IT of 195...JJ

I like that idea a lot but I was hoping to smoke this instead of Bribing into a corn beef but I’m definitely saving your recipe for future use that is for sure I have a very similar cut left over from my quarter then I’ll be using your idea for in the future. Thanks a lot I really appreciate it

Thank you for your service.

4# is pretty small , and meat processors selling quarters and half steers usually assume their customers don't want a 14# brisket, so they trim with hamburger in mind. Next time ask for a full cut.

Anyways, inject some broth, season and get some color on the roast. Then I would recommend a foil wrapped finishing step, with some broth. It might take 2 or 3 more hours to get tender. And you will be bordering on the "pot roast" texture, but with all due respect.... 4# is not a lot to work with.

Thanks guys for the response. I wasn’t happy about the 4 pound cut but I wasn’t thinking about that when I went on the cow with three other couples. Just trying to figure out how to smoke this tomorrow and prep tonight to get the best results. As always this site is amazing thanks a lot

I like that idea a lot but I was hoping to smoke this instead of Bribing into a corn beef
In Al's thread he only cures part of it . The rest is how he smokes the smallest part , in case you missed it .

It’s been along time since I’ve posted. It’s hard to smoke meat when you’re underway on a submarine Haha. We recently Went in on a cow with three other couples so we ended up with a quarter cow. What was labeled brisket with what we got is what is shown in pictures. It’s only about 4 pounds and picture show both sides of it. I’ve only ever smoked a packer, not sure what to do with this small of a cut any recommendations greatly appreciate it

Here is a 3.75 pound Brisket Flat.
It's laid out Step by Step with all info:
Brisket Flat

Bear

smoker has been chugging between 220-230 for the last three hours. Looks great so far! Thanks again!

Well for the first time doing a tiny brisket and it came out pretty good. Thanks again for all the tips I’ll definitely be keeping it in my back pocket for later. I pulled it off at 203, should have pulled it at 195. It was still very tasty

Attachments

• DFE6BD0B-29E6-480A-979A-F156298BE092.jpeg
    DFE6BD0B-29E6-480A-979A-F156298BE092.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 15
  • 14585699-9DD0-4D59-97E4-0D88FCBB84B0.jpeg
    14585699-9DD0-4D59-97E4-0D88FCBB84B0.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 15
It was very tender with great pull. Just a touch dry, borderline but still a touch on the dry side. A little sauce made it really good though. Home made slaw and rice went perfect

Attachments

• 356E0E4C-E5D6-48B4-B70C-5FFBE2C00F1E.jpeg
    356E0E4C-E5D6-48B4-B70C-5FFBE2C00F1E.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 13
It was very tender with great pull. Just a touch dry, borderline but still a touch on the dry side. A little sauce made it really good though. Home made slaw and rice went perfect

Looks Great from here!!----> Like.
Being a little dry is the biggest problem with doing the Lean Brisket Flats.
You'll notice in that Step by Step I gave you that I save all the juices that accumulate during the whole procedure. Then I separate the fat from the rest of the juices, and add that Liquid gold back to the meat, or in the Sammies. Gets rid of any dryness it may have had.

Bear

Reactions: bigfurmn
Looks Great from here!!----> Like.
Being a little dry is the biggest problem with doing the Lean Brisket Flats.
You'll notice in that Step by Step I gave you that I save all the juices that accumulate during the whole procedure. Then I separate the fat from the rest of the juices, and add that Liquid gold back to the meat, or in the Sammies. Gets rid of any dryness it may have had.

Bear
Yeah I’m gonna try your method for the other one I have in the freezer. This time I used Jeff sauce recipe that I tweak a little bit whenever I use it on beef it was very good but like I said I could’ve pulled it just a touch sooner

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky