Need help with Dino Bones?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daddyzaring

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
I found some nice looking beef ribs, and thought I'd try making Dino Bones for the first time.  I have a few questions though.  Do they have a membrane that needs removed?  What is the best way to prepare and cook them?  I can't decide if I want to use my MES, or my Charcoal GOSM.  If I use my MES can I crumble a little coal with the wood chips to get a smoke ring?

Thank you,

Jeff

Dinos are great,yes they have a membrane that needs to be removed

i do a 2-.5-.5 on mine at 225º

The more smoke the better!

Don't forget the Qview

I use the non-business end of a spoon to get a start under membranes and lift a bit off of the meat and bones.  once you have enough lifted, you should be able to grip it by hand and peel it off. 

Actually, you can leave the membrane on.  Blasphemy for pork, though!  After cooking, a steak knife under the membrane and down the bone will pull all the meat of in a clean sweep.

Good luck and good smoking.

Can someone refresh my memory on the 3-2-2 method?  I am planning on doing these tomorrow if it clears up like it suppose to.

It's 3-2-1. The 3 is 3 hours on the grate in the smoker, the 2 is 2 hours wrapped in foil with some liquid on the grate in the smoker, & the 1 is 1 hour back on the grate without foil. The idea is you get smoke flavor in the first 3 hours, then the next 2 hours the ribs steam in the foil & get real tender, and the last hour firms them up a little and adds a little bark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky