Need help with cold smoking sauseges...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JanB

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 8, 2020
Hi Guy/merry Christmas.

I need help with cold smoking sauseges.
I always did hot smoking but I wanna try cold smoking sauseges to make.
I just stuffed 15lb sauseges and I used pork but shoulder and seasoning from PS Seasoning Hungarian batch... Soo there is no instacure salt/they are not cured.
For cold smoking sauseges needs to be cured? Or I can just cold smoked as is? And for how long and what temperature?
What needs to be outside temp?
Inside smoker temp?
Sausege temp?

Anybody can help? I stuffed them today and planning to smoke them tomorrow morning.
Please...
IMG_20201225_125334731.jpg

i'm no pro but since they are not cured unless you can keep your smoker temp below 40 degrees you'll need to do more of a hot smoke, i would say start your smoker around 145-150 then bump your temp up 10 degrees every hour until internal temp hits 160-165 .

i'm no pro but since they are not cured unless you can keep your smoker temp below 40 degrees you'll need to do more of a hot smoke, i would say start your smoker around 145-150 then bump your temp up 10 degrees every hour until internal temp hits 160-165 .

I can get behind this recommendation because the sausages are fairly thin and should reach a safe IT (140°F) within 4 hours. In the event they are running behind schedule, bump the heat to 200+...

FYI, according to the USDA, Nitrite Free Ground Meat, sausage, burgers, meatloaf, should be Hot Smoked at 225°F+...JJ

Reactions: smokerjim
All good advice. If you think you want to smoke the Sausage, add the cure salt. 1tsp per 5# meat. Just add it in. Then you are golden no matter how you cook them.

I regularly cold smoke sausage without cure provided the temperature in my smoker stays between 32 and 40.

Easy to do in the right weather.

Ok Soo my smoking today didn't go well...
I wasn't able to keep 4hrs window and temperature.
I got bad wether and after 7 hrs fitting with temperature sauseges are still raw inside...
Casing was getting too dry and I panicked and cooled them down in cold water and put them in fridge.
Are they still good?
Can I still freeze them and keep them for cooking?
IMG_20201226_155703774.jpg
IMG_20201226_155649614.jpg

Reactions: masonman1345
Some of them was 140 and I thing some of them less...

Do you know if they reached 140*F within 4 hours? If not, then I would not chance it. Next go around, you can pull them after about 3 hours of smoke and put them in170*F water bath to finish cooking them to internal of 152~154*F.

They definitely didn't reach 140 in 4hrs
Can I just freeze them as they are and then just cook them as I need them?

I would not recommend it. Maybe chef jimmyj chef jimmyj can clarify further, but as I understand it, unfortunately, the sausages may not be safe. Further cooking would kill the bacteria present, but would not destroy any toxins if any harmful bacteria were able to grow. You can not taste, or see the toxin to even know if it is present. That is the reason for the 4 hours 40/140 rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
not sure i would take the chance, you mentioned some didn't make 140 and you were smoking for 7 hours. better safe then sorry.

I'm Soo disappointed of today.
This is my 3th time I made sausage and 1st and 2nd come up really good and today I blow it...

I am not one to jump to TOSS THEM..But...This is one time I would recommend tossing them and not risk getting sick...JJ

I'm with them sorry to say you need to toss that batch. You should really consider curing them. I to had equipment problems today with 75 lbs of summer sausage to do I'm at 10 or 11 hours now and the last of it is just finishing up but it's fine because I added the cure.

Thank you guys for help
I'm gonna toss them out/ I hate to do that but is just not worth to get my family sick.
Thank you

Good morning guys.
Ok after failed with last batch of sausages I wanna try again.
I have 10lb of pork shoulder and my spices ready- box mixed yet.
How much cure salt I should add?
What is step/ I mix that with my spices and then stuff sausage?
Do I have to wait some time to cure?
Anybody can help?
I'm trying to smoke Sunday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky